Chapter 6 Part 1

"sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ɪ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ɪɴ ʜᴇʀ ᴇʏᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ɪ ғɪɴᴅ ᴀ ɢʟɪᴍᴘsᴇ ᴏғ ᴜs." 

 — ɢʟɪᴍᴘsᴇ ᴏғ ᴜs, ᴊᴏᴊɪ 

 ❖

Most angels would argue that the Abolitionists have tainted our raids this past week. For nonstop clashes between us kept breaking out between us amid the dark, hectic hours. But I'm personally grateful for their presence, despite how bizarre that may sound . . . Because with the thrills the atheists offer, they're the only real factor that's been making my heart throb.

Just the thought of them even fires me up when I should be most relaxed, like now, as I'm doing some 'therapeutic' gardening with Rita. I won't say it's completely ineffective, because I am at ease. But I need something more engaging since my mind won't stop tripping over itself. That's why I've decided bringing my lively pets out here with us. The four are mighty adventurous, especially Togo, since he's always wandering off!

I reach over to catch him for a fourth time once finishing a small plot I've been working on for a while. Rita and I take a step back to check out the new strip of breathtaking flowers, perking up at the exciting sight. To think I've had any part in it is unfathomable! But I still struggle to match Rita's excitement. "So, are you completely sure you don't wanna be a landscaper instead of a vet?" She nudges me about my prismatic work.

I laugh. "But you told me what to do the entire time!"

"I told you where to plant things and whatnot, but the combinations of them were all you, and I'm so proud."

Rolling my eyes, I shrug. "I guess. But no matter how hard I try, I'll never be as good as you."

"You've got that right, babe!" The zesty woman nods, taking out her cellphone to snap photos of the new floral arrangement. She can't stay still as she bumps along to the music we have playing aloud, me giggling at her swinging hips.

As she gets me dancing to Whitney Houston with her, my uncle comes out of the academy with a tray holding iced tea for the three of us. But we don't even get to drink it as Rita sets the platter aside to pull him into our madness! I let him take my place, giving the two space for the poppy beats.

However, with only just moments passing by of the fun, Leopold stops to pick up a glass to gulp down as if he's dehydrated from it all! Rita and I tease him about it while he playfully brushes us off to hug me tight. "Joke all you want, gals! It's just nice seeing you smile, Mae."

"Thank you, Uncle Leo. It's nice to do so." I nod, making the couple bubble up as they hold one another closer. I have seen little of their affection lately since I've been trying to stay away from Leopold. He's been stressing way too much about me. Also, it's not like I can tell him what's truly going on with me since he doesn't know the truth about Jayden and me.

Leopold kids about our yard work, "Now I expect you two to have both sides and the back done by 3:00!"

"Who do you think we are, Lee?" Rita pulls back to make a funny face.

"My Superwoman and Supergirl." He chuckles, kissing her forehead as I get a text from Raj I would've dreaded missing:

Raj: ima do it soon

Raj: so you better be there

Me: What are you going to do and where will you be doing it? 👀

Raj: this in the cafeteria in five

I flutter as he sends a picture of the engagement ring he'll be proposing to Brittany with today!