Part 1: Dad's Compass

"You found a compass? I had to fly back here cuz you found a compass?" I huffed in annoyance.

"Look closer," John B said

"I'm looking. It's still a compass. It didn't turn into a unicorn" I said rolling my eye at John B's persistence in me figuring out what this was.

"It was Dad's," John B said. God, not this.

"That's why I didn't recognize it" I joked

"Maybe it's a sign" John B tried to reason with me.

"No John B. I've healed. It was hard but I've moved on. I'm not following you down a rabbit hole in hopes Dad is alive. I'm not putting myself through that. He's dead. He isn't coming back. Move on." I said storming out to go sit on the dock at the edge of the Chateau. After a while, I heard footsteps.

"Hey," Kiara said quietly.

"Hey, if you're here to tell me to follow John B down a rabbit hole then don't bother," I said while taking a drag of the blunt I stole from JJ's bag without him noticing.

"I just want to talk. Can I sit?" Kiara asked softly

"Knock yourself out" I replied moving over so there was room for her.

"I know John B's on a wild goose chase and it's not healthy. I'm not saying you have to do it because I don't want to either but if he's going to do it we should make sure he does it as safe as possible" Kiara says

"You don't get it. If it's tied to my dad there is no way to do it safely. He got involved with bad people. People who were dangerous" I said there was a side to this story no one knew not even John B.

"I know they shot at us after we got the compass," Kiara said and I felt my stomach drop.

"What? They shot at you. All of you?" I said no way was I going to lose anyone else.

"Yeah all of us. I wasn't supposed to mention this next part because only I know but you deserve to know too. The bullet grazed JJ's arm. It got cut and it was pretty bad. He's okay now but I thought you'd want to know" Kiara said and I got up and when right up to JJ.

"Let me see your arm" I said to JJ.

"Why?" JJ questioned

"Gun. On a boat. Ring any bells?" I said harshly grabbing his right arm and looking over until I found the cut.

"JJ what the hell? That's infected" I yelled

"Why does it matter?" he asked

"JJ what? It matter because that's dangerous" I said confused

"Oh so now you care about me?" he questioned and I felt my heart snap a little. I left him again.

"You know when you came back months ago I got my hopes up you would stay. But you never do. You left again. Like we didn't matter to you. Like I didn't matter." he said quietly, so quietly I wasn't even sure I heard it.

"JJ.. Is that how you feel?... Is that how you all feel?" I said looking towards Pope and John B

"A little, yeah" John B said softly

"I get you had to heal on your own but how you left was a shitty thing to do" Pope said and my head snapped towards JJ as I glared at him. He must've told them what happened before I left. They knew I slept with him. And then left.

"I should've never came back" I mumbled stumbling outside.

"Baylee wait" John B said.

"No, I'm sorry I never should've answered your call. I hurt you guys again" I said walking away. Only did I know my stay in outer banks was far from over.