Part 10: 'I Ship It'

"Hey, guys. So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asks. 

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed." JJ tells John B.

"You ready for this?" John B asks us. 

"Yeah." Pope and Kie both say. 

"Probably not" I answer truthfully. 

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." John B explains. 

"Oh, my God. Here we go again with this." Pope complains. 

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?" JJ defends pulling me onto his lap. 

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island." John B continues to elaborate.

"Oh, my God." I state looking at my brother in awe. 

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope objects. 

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" John B asks. 

"Proceed." he abliges. 

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny. Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." John B says handing Pope a letter. Pope then passes it to Kie who passes it to me and I just let JJ read it over my shoulder. 

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom. After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is..." he says pausing and I pat my lap and JJ hits my head repeatedly to immitate a drum set. 

"Tannyhill Plantation." John B finishes. Making both me and Kie deflate. 

"Tannyhill?" Kie questions. 

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him. So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his so as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold." John B explains sounding like a history teacher or something. 

"Where?"

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except... there's no wheat. You see, wheat is code for gold. Check this out. The gold is in parcel nine, near the water." he answers.

"Holy shit."

"All we need is an original survey map of the property, and we've found the gold." John B says finishing his history lesson. 

"Okay, so this might have a small chance of being actually true." Pope tells John B. 

"Dude, it's like King Tut." JJ exclaims removing me from his lap and getting up to hug John B.

"I am a genius. Hey, whoa! Hello! Fire! You're near the fire. You're gonna burn." John B says to JJ who is hugging him and pushing him very close to the fire, 

"I'm so proud of you right now." JJ praises my brother.

"Thank you. That's really sweet of you." John B tells him. 

"I ship it" I say earning a glare from both boys but a snort from Kiara. 

"Okay, so, guys. What's the plan?" Pope asks. 

"Good question. Sarah Cameron's coming tonight. She'll bring an original survey map..." John B starts to explain but is cut off by Kiara. 

"Hold on. Sarah? Wh-why Sarah?" Kie asks. 

"Um..." John B tries to come up with an excuse. 

"This is gonna be good." JJ comments to Pope. 

"Sarah, um, she... she got me into the archives in Chapel Hill yesterday, and that's where I got the letter." John B tries to reason with both me and Kie. 

"You were in Chapel Hill with Sarah Cameron?" I ask in disgust. 

"Yeah, um..." he attempts but I cut him off. 

"While I didn't know where you were you were running around Chapel Hill with Sarah Cameron and you didn't even think to let me know you weren't in some foster family on the mainland" I state angrily.

"He was mackin' on her." JJ informs us. 

"I wasn't macking." John B defends glaring at JJ. 

"You were totally macking Sarah Cameron." JJ continues. 

"I wasn't macking on her, okay? I was using her for access." John B defends. 

"That's low JB" I scoff angrily. 

"There was access, all right." JJ comments and I slap him on the back of the head. 

"Did you tell her about the treasure?" Kie asks angrily. 

"I was trying to get into the archives." John B reasons. 

"Is that a yes?" I ask. 

"I... I left out key details." he stutters. 

"Yo, what? You let a Kook in on our secret?" Kie yells. 

"Screw kook. You let a backstabbing traitor souless bitch in on our secret" I correct. 

"What about Pogue Lyfe? What about the T-shirt company, bro?" Kie argues. 

"I was just using her for information." John B once again tries to reason with us. 

"Why don't I believe you?" Kie scoffs. 

"Because he's a liar. Has that Cameron backstabbing rubbed off on you? Cuz it feels like it has" I answer Kie's question. 

"I'm trying to make us filthy rich here. Okay, so that we can pay off a boat," John B begins and I can't help but feel a little guilty. JJ needs this money. But, couldn't we do something else to get the map?  "or... or, uh... send you to autopsy school to study dead bodies. Look, you guys know me. Do I look like the type of person to fall for Sarah Cameron?" Sarah asks. 

"Uh... Do you want us to answer that, or..." 

"Yes you do! Because you're type is dumb backstabbing traitors" I yell at him once more. 

"Just... just stop." John B pleads. 

"Look, you don't know her yet. We do!" Kie says motioning to the two of us. 

"You can't trust her." I add. 

"Her brother did hit me in the back with a golf club." Pope sides with me and Kie. 

"Rafe and Sarah are different human beings." John B defends Sarah. 

"Hardly. In their case niether apple fell far from the tree" I tell him. 

"What did she do to the both of you, exactly?" JJ asks us. JJ has known I hated them since the incident that happened a while back but never why. I didn't tell so he didn't ask. 

"She's like a... like a spitting cobra. First, she... she blinds you, and then..." Kie tries to stutter out. 

"This is a bad analogy." Pope tells her. 

"Listen to us! Whatever we get, she's gonna try to take. That's just how that family is" I tell him. 

Author's Note. 

Thank you soo much for reading I love all of you soo much!!