Part 17: Best Liar

BAYLEE'S POV

Once everyone went home JJ, John B, and I were left at the Chateau. 

"I need a shower" John B complains. 

"It's your house you don't need permission" I say grumpily trying to clean up the cut on my stomach. 

"JJ" John B calls out gaining the attention of the blonde boy who was rumaging through the cupboards looking for food.

"What's up man?" JJ asks walking into the living room. 

"Can you help your girlfriend deal with her injury so she'll stop being bitchy" John B asks. 

"I told you to wait a minute and I'd help you" JJ scolds me. 

"I'm not incompatant" I reply still slightly angry at JJ for lying to me. 

"I know you aren't" he says grabbing the cloth that I was using. 

"I'm sorry for lying to you" he says after a while of silence. 

"I'm sorry for holding it over your head all day. You were just doing what you thought was best" I admit knowing that it isn't fair of me to be talking to everyone including Sarah but still be ignoring JJ. 

"I still shouldn't have lied to you" he says placing a bandaid over my injury. 

"I'm not mad. I was at first but maybe it was for the best. Truthfully I missed being friends with Sarah" Baylee tells the boy who doesn't say anything in response and just presses his lips against hers passionately. 

"Let's go to bed shall we?" JJ suggests. 

"Can we sleep in my room tonight?" I ask shyly. 

"Of course" he says without any hesitation. 

We get to my room and quickly flop onto the bed before I snuggle into JJ. 

"Hey Jayj?" I question checking if the boy is still awake. 

"Mhm" he mumbles alerting me he's awake. 

"You know how John B thinks my dad is still alive?" I question sitting up to face him. 

"Is that a serious question?" he asks with a smile. 

"Do you agree with him? Do you think my Dad is still alive?" 

"Bales. I don't know. All I know is I don't want to get your hopes up or John B's hopes up if it's not true" he says. 

"But you think it is true?" 

"Babe. I want nothing more for it to be true but then why hasn't he reached out to  one of guys?" 

"I don't know if I want it to be true or not. Does that make me a bad person?" I ask the boy who looks at me in shock. 

"No not at all. Your dad was a really good Dad to everyone other than you. That doesn't make you a bad person at all" he answers softly pulling me into his arms. 

"I hate him" I sob. Truthfully I didn't know where any of this was coming from; it was all true but we were supposed to be happy right now. Maybe it's because this was my Dad's dream. It was never mine. My dream came true the minute JJ asked me to be his girlfriend. 

Becuase no matter how many times I leave the OBX I'll always come back. I'll always come back to JJ Maybank. 

--------------------------------------------------

"He said it looked something like this" Kiara tells Sarah and I. 

"So..."

"That's 50 feet down, and they're using 100-feet rope. So I guess this little wagon will go ...straight to the gold room." Kiara tries to explain using the picture one of the boys; probably Pope drew.

"Who drew this?" Sarah asks as we all giggle at the bad drawing. 

"Who do you think?" Kie asks looking at the Heyward boy with a look I've never seen before. 

"Kie! This better work. We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it." I turn to see my boyfriend walk towards us. He hands the gold to Kie and I walk over to him pressing a kiss on his cheek. 

"Hi" he grins widely. 

"hi" I reply with a smile. 

"It's gonna work." Kie reassures my boyfriend. 

-----------------------------------------

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." JJ says stepping out of the van. 

"Like you could've done better." Kie spits back at him. 

"I could have. I took a welding class." JJ says which I highly doubt. 

"Whoa, whoa. Hey. Sh!" John B tells them. 

"When?" Kie asks JJ. 

"I love that my best friend and boyfriend get along so well" I joke trying to lighten the mood. 

"Chill out, okay?" John B tells the pair who are still bickering. 

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyway?" JJ asks. 

"because you're the best liar." Pope tells the boy who rolls his eyes. 

"I'm not sure I love the idea that my boyfriend is known as the best liar amoungst our friends" I whisper to Sarah. 

"Gives you lots of hope for your relationship does it?" Kiara teases with a smile. 

"Could be worse after that 'let's throw a rock at it' comment I'm pretty sure John B is known for being the dumbest" Sarah adds. 

"And that says a lot cuz JJ is a dumbass" I say raising my voice a little louder for the last 4 words. 

"Hey!" JJ whines. 

"Kidding. Love you Babe" I reply quickly without meaning to let the last 3 words slip. JJ walks away and I don't blame him. It caught me off guard too.

"You okay?" Sarah asks me seeing as I froze in my spot. 

"We haven't said that before" I mumble. 

"You guys have never told each other that you love the other one?" Sarah asks kind of shocked. 

"That's not true. You and JJ have said it plently" John B says overhearing our conversation. 

"Not since we started dating" I explain. 

"So why'd you say it just now?" John B asks. Does he know nothing?

"It just slipped out do you think he's mad?" I ask mostly looking to Sarah and Kie. 

"No. I think it caught him off guard give him time let him process" Kie tells me softly. 

"Where is this factory" I hear JJ ask the woman she responds to him before he walks back over to me, Sarah, and Kie. 

"JJ" I call out. 

"Yeah?"  he asks. 

"Are we okay?" I whisper. 

"Oh Bales of course we are. I'm sorry I didn't mean to walk away like that" he tells me softly. 

"It's okay" I say with a smile pecking his lips. 

"I lo-" JJ begins but is cut off by John B. 

"Get in you weirdo's" he calls out. I look at JJ with a smile and he gives me one back. 

AUTHORS NOTE

SOOOO BAYLEE HAS OFFICIALLY SAID I LOVE YOU TO JJ BUT JJ HASN'T SAID IT TO BAYLEE? I WONDER HOW THAT IS GOING TO PLAY OUT. THE SCENTENCE IS A HARD SCENTENCE FOR JJ TO SAY FOR REASON I'D HOPE WE'RE OBVIOUS BUT HOPEFULLY THE CHARACTER I'VE CREATED (BAYLEE) IS PATIENT AND CARING. IS SHE?