fairy tales and tragedies (sophiana)

Biana Vacker was sitting cross-legged on the carpeted floor of her room on a warm Saturday. She leafed through the pages of her book, skimming, looking for her favorite story. A story about forbidden love, a witch, magic, and mermaids. The leather-bound volume of Andersen's Fairy Tales has always been one of her prized possessions, and whenever she felt down and needed some encouragement, she read The Little Mermaid. Despite the sad ending. She ignored that part.

When she was little, she had watched the Disney movie of it every single day. She remembered the adorable mermaid costume her mom bought for her when she was six. She would wear that costume to school, she loved it so much.

Maybe it was just a childhood obsession, or maybe even little Biana had dreamed of someone falling in love with her, no matter what her flaws were.

She was pulled from her thoughts by her mom calling her from downstairs. "Biana! Sophie's here!"

Sophie. She was perfect—with perfect, golden brown eyes the color of rich soil and dirty blond hair that glowed in the sunlight. Her cheeks had a natural blush to them, and her smile, wow... her smile could light up a room.

It was no surprise to Biana that Sophie was here—at this point, the two had been so close that one would randomly show up at the other's house without announcement. They were practically family. Almost.

They were the two closest friends in their friend group, no doubt. Fitz and Keefe were close, but they were drifting apart. Biana knew why. She wasn't blind, and she wasn't the only Vacker sibling looking to catch a certain blonde's eye.

A thud, thud, thud, sounded outside Biana's room before the door to her room burst open, revealing her best friend.

"Sup, loser," Sophie monotoned playfully, strutting into the room and plopping down besides Biana. "Whatcha reading?"

"Anderson's Stories. The Little Mermaid," she answered.

"Again? That one's sad." Sophie creased her eyebrows together in concern.

"So? It reminds me of when we were little," she said, bumping Sophie's shoulder with hers. "Remember when we used to watch Disney movies all the time?"

"How could I forget? We would dress up in our little princess costumes and watch the movies together. I was always Cinderella, and you were Ariel." Sophie sighed. "Those were the good days. Before the hell we call High School."

"Yep. Ah, to just remember."

The two girls stayed in that position, side by side, sitting on the floor, talking, for a long time. The sun met the horizon and promptly sank below it. The last light from the sunset

Biana rolled over onto her stomach, propping her elbows beneath her. "Sophie, I need to tell you something," she blurted, not looking Sophie in the eyes.

"Yeah, what is it? You can tell me anything, Bi." Sophie gazed at Biana, who tucked her hair behind her ear nervously.

"I... I've been thinking about it for, well, for a while now, and I think..." Biana stammered.

"Yeah...?" Sophie urged her to keep going.

"I... well, I hope you'll accept me, and that just maybe you'll..." She trailed off, not finishing her sentence. She took a deep breath and continued quickly, "I like you. Like, like you. A lot. And I know you like Fitz and not me, but I just had to tell you. I..." She sighed. "I couldn't keep it in any longer."

"Soph?" Biana asked after Sophie didn't reply for over a minute. The blonde had just sat there, eyes studying the carpet in deep concentration. "I... I know this might come as a shock, and you probably don't like me back, and I'm so sorry for making this awk-"

She was cut off by Sophie gently placing her lips to Biana's, her hand cupping the brunette's cheek. The kiss couldn't have lasted more than a second, but to Biana it felt like longer. It felt like everything.

It was magical, just like Biana's favorite story.

Except this was no tragedy.

a/n

hey ! i'm sorry i haven't updated in, well... forever. i had most of this written and just as a draft a long time ago, but i finally finished it up, so... here it is :)) i like sophiana, they're really cute together. for the record, kotlc-wise i'm probably the biggest multi-shipper there is. so, there's that.

hope you like it :) once again, sorry for not updating for so long. i've been having trouble with inspiration for this, and this might be the last chapter of this unless i write something else. 

love ya <3