Chapter 16.

Another couple of days followed in the same manner, fights breaking out more and more to the point where half the gladers held bruised faces, split lips and broken noses. They had finally reached rock bottom concerning their food supply and water was nearly gone as well. They had a few days left before they were left without anything to eat and drink. 

It was a painful sight to see. The place which had once been so peaceful became chaotic as time passed by. And no one knew what to do to make things better. 

The gladers were cranky and every tiniest thing was good enough to piss someone off. That was the main reason behind Newt and Thomas disappearing for hours at times. They couldn’t stay long with the others as all they wanted was some peace and quiet. 

Thomas wanted the blond to be his boyfriend so badly. He could feel they didn’t have much time left. The hunger was most likely going to be their downfall and the brunette didn’t want to go down without being able to call Newt his. However, the blond seemed satisfied enough with the way things currently were between them and so he was reluctant to ask and ruin everything. They still hadn’t even shared one kiss and that had Thomas even more puzzled on what to do.

The two were laying down on a patch of grass inside the forest, looking up at the trees hovering over them. It was so relaxing. No one was talking and the only thing heard was the leaves ruffling with the small breeze and the arguments from the gladers they could hear from afar.

Newt laid with one hand behind his head, the other holding Thomas against him as the brunette had his head resting against the blond’s chest, breathing in his scent with each breath he took. They both wanted to stay like this forever but they knew they couldn’t risk getting caught. A result of the many fights was that many guys took walks into the woods to cool themselves off. And that meant Thomas and Newt couldn’t spend too much time like this anymore.

“We should go back.” Newt sighed, his statement sounded very reluctant. 

“No.”

“We’ve been here too long, Tommy.” Newt insisted as he knew it was starting to get riskier.

“I don’t care.”

“C’mon.”

“No.”

“Alright.” the blond caved in and wrapped his arm tighter around Thomas who closed his eyes and snuggled closer to the blond’s chest. 

They stayed like this a while longer before they both decided now it was time to go back. They separated quickly and thankfully, no one had caught up to it yet. Newt went to talk to Jeff while Thomas joined Alby and Chuck to figure out ways to make everything last as long as possible. 

And as a fight had just been resolved half an hour ago, another one broke out. This time, it was Newt and Gally. Water was the reason behind it this time. Gally had wanted a drink and Newt had caught him drinking way more than acceptable in their current situation. 

"You're drinking everyone else's portions!" the blond exclaimed, visibly furious as Gally had rolled his eyes when the blond had told him nicely. "Don't be bloody selfish, slinthead!"

"What the shuck are you talking about!" Gally snapped back as he pushed Newt out of the way. "We're not allowed to drink anymore?!"

"That's not the issue here and you know it!" the blond hissed as he pushed Gally back. "Stop being an asshole!"

"You fucki-" Gally cursed, not being able to finish his statement as he was too busy swinging his fist straight at Newt's face who stumbled to the ground heavily. Gally made his way to get on top of him and beat him up when he was stopped in his tracks.