Hunting Party

Year 749; Day 105

Western Terra-Everto

I find it difficult to recall the last time I had walked so far. Here I sit, sharing a fire with a motley group of demon hunters, including Matia, Calix, a few other men and women dedicated to the same cause. I rub my aching feet, which are tired from walking all day.

This morning, I was roused from my sleep by Faylinn, who had just recently woken up herself. I was led down to a large dining hall, where many hunters gathered for a hearty meal. I sat next to Alastair, who appeared healthier from getting a good night’s rest. I ate a delicious meal of eggs, freshly baked bread, and cooked potatoes. Afterword, Matia organized the hunting party, and I helped her gather the necessary supplies for the multi-day trip they were embarking on.

Once everything was set, we said our farewells and walked for miles down the trade path leading westward through the lush Terra-Everto plain. The grass was so green and healthy, the sky was so blue, and the flowers were so vibrant. I could not help but wonder how long it would take for Oblivion to influence this area as well. What demon would exist out in this place anyway? I had asked one of the hunters, and they replied, “We received a bill from a local that a demon was causing trouble up near the shrine. We’re going to check it out.”

I suppose it made sense to me. Now here we sit, the stars above our heads and the half-moon shining down on us. The fire burned brightly, warming everything around us. I contemplate on what tomorrow will bring, and what I will find at the shrine.

 It is called Eternity’s Shrine, an ancient building made to worship the realm humans turn to so frequently. I have never been, but I know of people who have gone. Many travel there to pray to the consciousness of Eternity, begging for prosperity and peaceful lives. I often wonder how a simple realm could have thoughts that communicate with humans. Oblivion has never communicated with anyone, ever.

When the people returned from their voyage to the shrine, they would have fear in their eyes, and would hide themselves from the world. I know of some who were such kind-hearted people. I remember, when I was young, a woman who would always come to the orphanage tell me and the other children stories. Her child was dying one day, so she journeyed to the shrine to pray that her son would live. When she returned, the light had died from her eyes, and she no longer came to tell stories. She would lock herself in her home for days on end, and eventually took her own life. No one ever figured out why.  Ever since the day she died, I promised myself that I would never visit there. But today, I go.

 I wake early the next morning, before everyone else. I walk a short distance away from our encampment, and sit amongst the wildflowers, staring at the sky. Kali remains calm, as usual.

 “Such a lovely place, isn’t it?”

 “Indeed it is. I would hate to see this natural beauty tarnished by our enemies,” I reply, picking a flower and twirling it around in my hand.

 “I know you fear the shrine, child. But it may just have the answers you seek.”

 How I wish I could dig deeper into her ancient mind to find what she is planning. “It is a place of torture. I have not once seen a person return with a smile on their face.”

 “Yes, that is true. But I know you Alia; you would not be driven mad by a trivial misfortune. You have an iron will, and nothing will sway you from the path you intend to take.”

 “Tell me Kali, will I learn the truth here? About what I want to know?”

 “All that and much more, child. You are different from any other human I’ve met, including myself, when I was one. The truth will only make you stronger.”