chapter 1|| sleepover

The year was 1978, Abby was spending the day with her best friend Kelly Shaw. The two girls had walked around town for a bit, taking a break to sit at the park. "I can't believe Finney Is missing.. I bet it was the grabber" Kelly said. "I hope not..but..I hope he's okay. I wonder why the grabber is only targeting boys...it's kinda gross" Abigail mumbled. "I agree.."

"Hey I was thinking..I'm going to go stay with my uncle for a few days, wanna come? Keep my company?" Kelly hums. "Yeah sure, when?" "Tomorrow. My dad and I could come pick you up around noon if you'd like" Kelly gets up. "Mm sure okay! I'm going to head home since it's getting late. Stay safe"Abby says, even if the grabber only takes boys the last thing she wants is to see her best friend go missing "you too."

Abigail started to walk towards her house, which wasn't far from the park they were sitting at. She got this unnerving gut feeling, the hairs on her neck stuck up. She looked around, examining her surroundings. That's when she saw it. A black van. she couldn't make out what it said on the side. Abby began walking faster, she could see her house. She started to run, hurrying to open the door. Abby locked it behind herself, looking out the window. The black van was nowhere to be seen.

The girl made her way to her room, quickly closing the window and curtains. She flopped onto her bed, letting out a shaky breath. After a minute, she got up, grabbing her backpack. She started to fill it with clothes. Abby got up, grabbing her toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant, and hair brush. She stuffed them into her bag, getting into her bed, burying herself under the covers.

The next morning, Kelly woke up decently early. She made her way into the kitchen with her bag, dropping it into the floor to make herself breakfast. "Mom Kelly and I are going to her uncle's for a few days" she says, stuffing her face with cereal. "Alright hun" she says, leaving for work. Abby was an only child, living with her mother. Her father had died in an accident a long time ago..so it was just Abby and her mom.
An hour passed, she heard a knock on her door. Abby grabbed her bag, opening the door. She hugged Kelly, following her to the car. The two girls sat in the back, their bags on their laps. "Thankyou for coming, my uncle isn't home much so I figured I could use some company. " Kelly says, pushing her bag to her feet. "It's no problem, I needed to get out of the house anyways" Abby giggled, holding her bag close.

Upon arriving, Abby noticed a man outside, he waved. Max, Kelly's dad, got out Going on another rant about the grabber. The two girls went inside, Kelly led Abby to the extra bedroom that the two would be staying in. Abby took her things out of her bag, putting them away. Kelly sat onto the bed "I hope you don't mind sharing rooms. If you want I can sleep on the couch" Kelly says "nono..I don't mind it at all" Abby smiles. "Did you bring your sketchbook?" Kelly says, sitting criss-crossed on the bed next to her. Abby nods , crossing her legs. "mhm" she hums, pulling it out of her bag, handing it to her. Kelly opened it, flipping the pages. "I love your art..you gotta teach me sometime. I'd love to draw like you" she smiled "I'd love to, it's very therapeutic for me" she giggles. "I think my dad left, let's go to the living room and watch something " Kelly says, getting up. The two walked out, walking towards the living room. Her uncle was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper. "Hey uncle Al..I never got to introduce you to my friend. This is Abigail Jones. My best friend, " she smiles. Abby smiles at the man "hi" she says. He put his newspaper down, smiling to them "it's very nice to meet you Abigail" he hums, "are you two hungry? I can order pizza, " he says softly. "Oo yes please " Kelly says, nodding quickly. He got up, making his way to the phone in the kitchen, the two girls sat on the couch, turning some type of cartoons on.

Later that night, the two girls were in the bedroom, talking about the recent missing boys. "I hope finney is okay.." Kelly says, looking out the window"me too..it's been 2 weeks since he went missing..who knows if he's still alive.." she says, looking down at her feet. Little did the two girls know, he was alive..just a floor below them..but not for long. Kelly let out a yawn, laying down "I'm going to bed, I'm exhausted" she hums, closing her eyes. Abby lays down as well, covering herself with the blanket.
Abby woke up in a cold sweat, shaking slightly. She had another nightmare, she had them very often. She slowly got up from the bed, needing to use the restroom. She made her way to the door, tiptoeing so she did not wake her friend. She opened the door, peeking out. She slowly made her way into the hall, peeking around the corner into the kitchen. That's when she saw..him. He was on an uncomfortable looking chair, a freaking looking mask on his face. It has a large frown and horns. She noticed he wasn't wearing a shirt, then she noticed a belt in his hand. She froze, her breathing getting heavy from fear. She heard a snore come from the man, relieved to know he was sleeping. She turned around, going towards the bathroom.

The smell of eggs and sausage hit Abby's nose, she opened her eyes, sitting up. Kelly wasn't in the bed, so she assumed she must be in the living room. She got up, stretching. She was wearing her PJs, sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt. She made her way through the hallway, "good morning sleepyhead" Kelly giggles. "Girls, I made breakfast" her uncle hums, setting the table. Abby noticed he had a separate plate that he put onto the counter, she assumed he was saving some for himself. The two sat down, "thankyou" they both said in unison. He smiles and nods, walking out of the room with the plate and a bottle of sprite. "I'm going with my dad to the doctors today so you'll be here alone for a few hours, is that okay?" Kelly says, looking at her. "Oh yeah that's alright. I think I might go for a walk" she hums.

Abby watched as Kelly left, she was now home alone since Kelly's uncle had left for work. She got dressed, putting on a knee length floral dress. She slipped her leggings on, then her shoes. The girl made her way outside, shutting the door behind herself. She wasn't sure where she would walk too..maybe the store. She had a few dollars. It was still early in the day, the sky was foggy and dark. While Walking..that...feeling came back. A knot forming in her stomach. She continued walking.. suddenly seeing that black van on the side of the road, not far from her. Abby kept walking before seeing a man trip and spill all of his groceries. "Oh my..isn't that just peachy keen" he said, "gosh I'm such a klutz" he giggled, leaving down to grab his things. Abby stopped to help, grabbing the things from the ground. "Oh my.. aren't you just the sweetest. thank you " he hums. Abby smiles, looking up at him. "It's no problem, " she hums. She. Noticing his face was awfully pale, he had large sunglasses on and a hat. "Wanna see a magic trick?' he asked, giggling. "Oh..sure" she said, just wanting to be nice. "you know ..you look awfully familiar " she says "hm..that's weird " he says, opening the door to the van "oh are those black balloons?" She says. Out of nowhere he suddenly grabbed her, she kicked and screamed, as soon as she opened her mouth, he sprayed some type of chemical into it, causing her to pass out. He shoved her into the van, slamming the door shut.

To be continued...

1409 words:)