Chapter Six

A few more days had gone by and Elli had not seen or heard Loki in a while. He never even sat at the dining table. He would eat in his room. As the days went by, she still received letters from her secret admirer. Each letter stated how much he loved her and how she should never forget it.

My dearest Elli,

It pains me that I cannot reveal myself to you for I want you to know before you get married. Knowing that you're wedding grow nearer makes my heart die as each day passes. But, right now, I cannot reveal my identity for it is too dangerous. Just remember that I love you. No one else can love you the way I do. I respect who you are and I love your character. You're a divine woman, Elli, and I love you with my body and soul.

Elli sighed and hated herself for not being able to figure out who her secret admirer was. She left her room and went searching for Loki. She needed to know why he had chose not to see her anymore. And she knew exactly where he would be. Elli made her way into the library and found Loki sitting in a chair reading a book. She walked up behind him and crossed her arms.

"Why won't you talk me?" Elli asked.

Loki's eyes widened and he felt his heart race.

"Look at me." Elli said softly.

"I-I can't." Loki whispered.

Elli smiled softly and chuckled.

"At least you spoke." Elli giggled.

Elli's laughter made Loki's chest tighten.

"Loki, tell me why you can't look at me." Elli told him.

"I can't." Loki said.

"But why?" Elli asked.

"I just can't." Loki replied as his voice broke.

"You know, you really hurt me, Loki. I thought you better than that. I thought you were a good man." Elli told him.

Loki inhaled sharply stood up from his seat and turned to face Elli. He bit his lip when he saw the tears forming in Elli's eyes. She smiled weakly when he looked at her.

"Elli, I couldn't talk or look at you because my father forbid me from it." Loki told her.

"Why?" Elli asked as her arms fell to her sides.

"He knows that I spent most of my time here with you. Because Helblindi is supposed to marry you, he didn't approve of what I was doing. He wants Helblindi to be with you so he forbid from ever seeing you." Loki explained.

"He's a terrible man for doing that then." Elli said.

"I'm sorry I hurt you, Elli. I was afraid of what my father would do to me if I didn't obey him. I never intended to hurt you." Loki told her.

"Now that I know the truth, you don't have to apologize." Elli said.

"No, I do. I didn't have to obey him when he wasn't in the room." Loki told her.

"It's alright now." Elli smiled.

Loki took a deep breath and was about to speak when Thor ran into the room.

"Thor? What's wrong?" Elli asked.

"Loki, you need to come to the throne room quickly. Jotunheim has just been invaded." Thor replied before running down the hall.

"I have to go. I'll speak with you later." Loki said as he ran out after Thor.

Loki caught up to Thor and paced next to him.