Chapter 6

NSFW warning.

We had been driving for about twenty minutes when my phone buzzed in my hands. I turned the screen toward my face and checked the notification. It was from Zeke. I smiled. I had grown a liking to him because we had been talking all day in school today. I tapped the notification, the message app opening after scanning my face for a second.

"Hey, wyd?"

You:

"Sitting in car. I'm headed for a party outside of town. You?" I looked outside the window, registering my surroundings. I tell we were leaving the town, the houses growing sparse the farther we drove. I turned my attention back to my phone, his message dropping at the same time.

Zeke:

"Well, I just got someone's tat done so I think I'll be heading home. I'm spent. I think I'll make an avocado sandwich." I snorted, the idea of eating an avocado on bread hilarious to me.

You:

"Eww how the hell do you stomach that shit, like just eat the avocado BEFORE you eat the bread." I typed my response with a slight chuckle. I knew he was going to defend his food. In the short time I had known Zeke, I could tell that he loved to stick to what he believed was right. He would argue with you until you saw reason.

My little laugh caught Cade's attention.

"Who you talking to?" He asked with raised brows. I don't know why, but his question alarmed me. I felt the need to hide who I was talking to.

"No one." He scoffed, obviously not buying my stupid lie. "You wouldn't be smiling and typing on your phone if you were talking to nobody." He said.

"Looks like Vinny boy here is hiding his girlfriend from us." Devin added with a laugh from the front seat. I rolled my eyes. Another message came in, the screen coming alive. I read the message.

Zeke:

"Hey, don't diss it till you try it. It's literally the best way to make a sandwich or toast or whatever." He defended his monstrosity of food. I typed out my reply, Cade growing restless with each word I typed.

You:

"Whatever you say. So what design did you do today? Send pics if possible." He had sent me some designs from his shop when I was at school today. They were beautiful. They were so many details on each of them that I didn't even know where to start starring from.

His reply was instant; a simple 'sure'. He sent the images, the file type loading in. I was about to click on one of them when Cade grabbed my phone from my hands. I reached for his hands that clutched my phone tight, but he put my phone under his butt. My face scrunched in disgust.

"Let me see who you're talking to. It can't be that bad, can it?" he asked, his eyes pleading with a hint of playfulness. I knew I couldn't win with him, so I turned my head to the window and murmured, "Fine."

I heard him grab the phone from under his butt and then he started reading our texts aloud. He started reading it with vigor until he got to the part about the sandwiches, his tone slowing and his filling with confusion. He was even more stumped when he got to the part about tattoos.

"Vince, who is this?" he asked me, his voice deep. Unusual. I was about to reply, but he answered his own question.

"Zeke? Who the fuck is that?" He asked with a small laugh.

"Does it really matter?" I didn't really have the strength to talk about how or where I met him. "Yes, it does. As your number one best friend, I need to know if someone is trying to take my place." He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I rolled my eyes at him.