Chapter 13

I opened my house door ready to head for school, my car glimmering under the early morning sun. I threw my swim bag into the back seat, my homemade coffee warming my hands as I still held the paper cup tightly. My arms still slightly ached from my little art exercise. I hopped in the front seat of my car and turned it on before resting my head on the wheel for a few minutes, an uneasy feeling settling in my stomach. I was starting to feel some sense of doubt about my swim team tryouts that were being held today at school. Usually, whenever we had a big thing or event to do, we always had each other around to calm our nerves. But for some stupid bullshit excuse that he gave me yesterday, Cade wasn't here this morning with me.

I whipped out my phone and opened the group chat that I and my friends shared, hoping to get a little bit of confidence from their words.

You:
could you guys boost me up? I'm having some doubts about the swim team tryouts.

Camila was the first to reply, always making sure her position as 'best friend' in my life was always being worked.

Camila:
oh please bebe, you'll crush them. Don't sweat it. Now, remember, just relax and move them sexy legs of yours ;)

I chuckled at the message, the anxiety already rolling off my shoulders and alleviating the pressure on my psyche. Ivan was the next to text me. She must have whacked him in the head and yelled at him to console me ASAP since the two were always together and he was also my 'best friend' -don't worry, the list doesn't get longer because only Cade, Ivan, and Camila fit into that list. Colt and Devin were the newcomers in our relationship and as much as I loved them, I couldn't call them my best friends.

Ivan:
ur gonna ace this swim tryout bro. you know I got ur back. And if that damn coach doesn't let you in, then rest assured that you'll be swimming laps in his tears by the time I'm done with him. ヾ(≧へ≦)〃

Devin:
don't worry bro, me and Colt will make sure to get some big burly men to deal with the coach lol.

You replying Devin:
oh? I thought you were big and burly enough to handle anyone. I guess I can't walk with you and feel protected anymore 😔 #protectthefrail.

Colt:
lmaoooo. You really dug yourself a grave with that one, Devin.
dw about it, Vinny, you'll ace the tryouts. And don't let it put you under pressure okay. If shit gets too stuffy, then just think of all of us giving you a big bear hug and you'll be fine. :-P

I grinned at my phone, a warm feeling enveloping me at the thought I had friends who thought of me as family. My smile faltered a bit when the person I wanted the most didn't utter a word on the platform. I furrowed my brows as I went to his DM's

You:
hey. Just wanted to know how you were doing. Good luck with your football tryouts today. My swim team tryouts are today and my nerves are all over the place.

I waited for a few seconds before typing again.

You:
it'd help me a lot if you could call me and calm me down man. See you at lunch. Since your tryouts are in the morning and mine are in the afternoon, you get to tell me everything. Wish me luck! :P

I put my car into drive and started heading toward the school. I could afford to waste that much time talking with my friends because my body was so excited and nervous at the same time that I could barely get any sleep, and when I did get it, I woke up far earlier than I normally would. Zeke had stayed up most of last night talking with me over the phone. I told him about my tryouts today and he gave me encouragement. Yes, most of it might have been about how sexy my legs were and how they'd be even more powerful underwater, but I could tell that was his way of getting my mind off the anxiety. A warm feeling grew in my chest just thinking about our lengthy chats last night.