Chapter 3

Entering Shelby's house I placed my bag on the decorative table and made my way towards the stairs,

"Oh it's just you Ms. Amsel!" Shelby said standing in the doorway, hand placed over her racing heart.

"Yes, who else would it be?" I responded turning to face her. I could hear the gas flowing through the oven in the kitchen, cooking some type of meat for her dinner along with the faint noise of a radio.

"Well the news said there was a group of people murdered in the city not long ago, thought it could be something of that sort."

"A murder?" I gasped acting surprised, making my eyes widen and mouth pop open.

"Yes, just awful," She said shaking her head, "Seventeen people, some man and his friends. They said there were others there as well, they are certain it was more than one killer, but they said the scene looked like an animal attack." She really did look sad, how odd.

"That's terrible." I said, forcing remorse.

"I was worried for you, but I am glad you are back and safe." She said reaching out and touching my forearm gently.

This time I didn't have to fake my shock. I forced my face to remain neutral then a small smile graced my lips, "Thank you Shelby."

I turned from her and headed up the stairs, not sure if I could stop myself from killing the women. This was a bad idea, choosing someone that was this kind. I shook my head at the thought, I'd be gone tomorrow, and she wouldn't even remember me.

Walking into my room and I began packing my things, preparing to leave in the morning.

I piled all my bags by the door leaving one open on the dresser so that I could change. I stripped down to only my underwear then slipped on my pink silk nightgown, walking into the bathroom to take off my makeup.

I washed off my makeup then brushed my teeth, spitting into the sink and watching as the pink water ran down the drain. Placing all my towel into the hamper and throwing away anything I wasn't taking, then I exited the bathroom.

As I made my way to the bed I wrapped my hair up into a bun to help keep the curl for tomorrow and climbed up onto the mattress.

I knew I'd have to get to the Alphas property as soon as possible, I didn't have a clue where exactly it was, but I had friends all over. Though I suppose friend is a loose term for me.

I laid there a while running my fingers over the quilted blanket thinking. The feel of the fabric brought back memories of home, I closed my eyes and for a moment allowed myself to be there again.

The stone walls enclosing the room with portraits of family members hung throughout. A bright colorful rug rolled out beneath the bed, tacked in place at the corners of the room to ensure its position while just as lavish tapestry draped in front of the windowpanes blocking the moons light.

I continued to run my fingers over the fabric, imagining I was back home, still human. There would have been a fur of some sort placed at the foot of my bed to ensure my feet didn't become too cold in the night. While the dying embers danced in the fire place several paces where I slept, keeping the chill of the last frost away and making the furniture in my room merely shadows.

I could almost hear the faint laughter of my younger siblings running through the hallway, avoiding my mother as she rounded them up for bed.

I wrenched my eyes open, knocking the image from my head.

Angered at my slip I jerked myself onto my side and stared out the window, forcing myself to stare at the neighboring house, a much different view than back home.