Chapter 27

A dark green river gushes besides the sprawling white and blue building, which stood four stories tall against the Swedish backdrop

A dark green river gushes besides the sprawling white and blue building, which stood four stories tall against the Swedish backdrop. We make our way to the reception and Kat talks to the woman there.

Looking around, I find the waiting room filled sparsely with women, and their children and babies. The clinic wasn't busy this particular day, which was good news for us.

"Thank you Elena." Kat responds as the receptionist leads us down a hall.

"Oh it's really my pleasure. We don't hear much from Mr Wallin, unless it's a budget cut of course," she laughs, not deterred or daunted by the daughter of the owner's presence.

"Ha, yes I understand. He's not a fan of hospitals. Strange considering he built them, huh?"

Kat continues a light conversation about the receptionist's family until we're on the first floor, in front of a room with the sign 'Nurse Lounge'.

"Annabelle should be here, unless she's down at the Incubators again. She's always watching those babies."

When Kat had made the calls, she'd found out that Annabelle was doing extremely well, and voluntarily aiding at a maternity hospital in Sweden. She'd been cleared for it a couple of months back and had even begun training as a nurse.

Rose had been shocked to find all of this happening without her or their parents knowing. Or maybe the Carson parents knew but they never spoke of it.

Elena just dropped a crucial piece of information on Annabelle. I wonder if she knew Annabelle came from a psychiatric clinic all the way in Switzerland.

None of us respond as she pushes open the door. The lounge room was like any company kitchen. In the middle, at one of the couches, sat two women.

"Anna? You have visitors."

The blonde one turns her head, putting down her book. She stares at the lot of us for a good minute. I imagine it must have been a shock to have visitors for the first time.

She rises to her feet, and I notice she wore a white and baby blue nurse's uniform. Her blue eyes were the same shade of Rose, her bundled blonde hair only shades darker. Her eyebrows arched into a confused frown.

"Rosy?"

There's a strangled cry that comes from Rose.

"It's me." The blonde's voice breaks, and tears stream down her face.

"Jeren, darling, I think they need some space." The older woman escorts the other nurse outside and Kat follows suit.

Rose steps forward to her shocked sister, her hands reaching but not touching.

"I'm so sorry Anna. I never thought they would react like that. I didn't think at all. I was stupid-"

"Hey, hey, Rosalind please. Have you been blaming yourself this entire time?" the girl's blue eyes widen as the realisation dawns on her. Rose doesn't respond which cements it. She clasps a hand to her mouth. "Oh no, Rosy...I wish-" she breaks off, simply choosing to hug her sister tightly.

We take it as our cue to leave and give them the space they need. Outside, the receptionist and the other nurse was going down the hall.

"I talked to both of them, and made sure they won't inform anyone about our visit. Thankfully they don't have cameras installed in this clinic."

"Always thinking two steps ahead," I compliment her.

Viv glances back at the closed door and smiles, "Rose needed this. This is the worst situation, and reason to come. But she would have never come otherwise."

"I'm glad something good has come out of this mess." Katrina notes with a sigh.

This mess... This mess was Kat and Michael getting engaged. This mess was about finding blackmail against the two Wallin men. This mess that just unravelled history.

-*-*-*-*-*-

We sit outside for about 30 minutes when the older Carson invites us inside.

Inside Rose is still sniffling, with red puffy eyes that I notice Viv cringe at. The Parisian heads to the refrigerator for ice as we all take our seats on the couch.

"First, I want to say thank you to all of you. I don't think my sister would ever have come here unless she was pushed to. I don't mean it in any bad way. I wouldn't have made a move if I were her either. So thank you for whatever you have done."

Viv lays an ice cube on Rose's eye. "It's nothing. I'm Vivian Evora, in case you don't remember."

Annabelle smiles, "I remember you. 15 and struggling with English, but always with the prettiest make up and clothes."

"This is Katrina." Viv leaves out her last name but no one seems to realise it was on purpose. "Her father owns this hospital...and the one you were at before."

"Well, compliments to your father then. They helped me a lot." Her smile is genuine and she seems to be truly thankful.

Her head turns to me, "Hi Annabelle. My name's Camille. I'm a new friend. I don't know how we're going to start this but..." I look towards Rose, who nods.

"It has to do with you."I pause, unsure if this would be triggering, "And Oliver Wallin."