20

The feeling of relief I felt when I was woken up by Lucy and Gael excitedly yelling about the bule star high in the sky, was immense. We wasted no time in heading back to the Dawn Treader and beginning our journey to follow it to Ramandu's island. The low hanging sun painted the horizon in beautiful oranges and pinks. 

Once back on board, Lucy and I had decided to watch the sunrise from the balcony off the back of the Dawn Treader. We chatted, talking about random topics like what she thought of sailing, who we thought was causing more trouble back home for Glenstorm (we both agreed it was probably Trumpkin), and what books we thought Coriakin had stored in his library. I swore he had to have some raunchy books back on the shelves somewhere, but Lucy just laughed at me and said he was a scholar. 

"There's no way he has those in his big library," she argued as we both laughed. "If anything, they're in his bookshelf in his room." At this we began laughing harder.

As our laughter died, we both noticed something in the water following us. Looking closer, I realized it was a water sprite. Lucy told me how she'd seen them not long after she'd arrived on the Dawn Treader, and we both began to wave. Something about the way the sprite was waving looked off though, and I strained to see closer. My stomach sank slightly when I realized that she wasn't waving as a hello. She was waving at us in warning, mouthing the word "no". Uneasy, Lucy and I looked at each other, then back at the sprite as the Dawn Treader kept moving through the water. 

"Well, that doesn't make me feel great," I said out loud after the sprite disappeared underneath the waves. 

"No kidding," Lucy sighed. "Any way she was just messing with us? I know back in old Narnia it wasn't uncommon for sprites and fairies to play tricks on people."

"She was a water sprite though. They're typically not like sirens that just want to cause chaos and sink ships. They're peaceful beings. No, I think the sprites know something. They can probably feel the mist with their magic." Lucy nodded her head in understanding, gripping the railing. 

"Should we tell Edmund and Caspian?" 

"It might not be a bad idea, but let's make sure the crew don't overhear. They're already spooked from the voyage so far. The last thing they need is bad omens from magical beings."

"Fair point," she said as we turned to head back up above deck. "Although hopefully we've used up all of our bad luck."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You just had to say it, didn't you," I asked Lucy, fanning myself from the sweltering sun. She swatted me from where she sat on a box next to me and I couldn't contain my chuckle. 

"What? It's true!"

The night we saw the water sprite, the wind began to die down. By the next morning, it was all but gone meaning the Dawn Treader wasn't going anywhere anytime soon unless the crew started rowing. Which they did in shifts, but it was hard work to move a ship this big. It didn't help that Drinian confirmed our fears as our group met up towards the stern.

"The wind's left us," he said, looking at the sky like he wanted to summon a breeze himself. 

"So how do we get to Ramandu's Island now then?" Ed asked. 

"My guess is something doesn't want us to get there," Drinian offered as he walked up the steps towards the wheel. The four of us shared a look before moving to different parts of the ship. Lucy went to the captain's quarters with Gael while Ed and Caspian followed Drinian, and I began to climb the ladder to the crow's nest. 

As I started the climb, I overheard some of the crew complaining. 

"If I get any hungrier, I'm going to eat that dragon!" While I understood his feelings, my anger rose quickly.