Chapter 1

People say that things won't happen to them, that they won't lose their loved ones but they are wrong. I used to think that way until my mom and dad died. They were in a car accident when I was seventeen years old, I was in class when I got the call and I still blame myself.

In the middle of the road, in the middle of nowhere was a blue, two-thousand and twenty-two Kia Telluride driving down the road surrounded by what appeared to be desert lands. 

“How are you doing Ash?” The man in the driver seat asked silently.

He quickly looked over at Ash for a second before returning his gaze to the road. Ash looked like a normal teenage girl with black hair and had a light maroon skin color. Ash said nothing as she looked out the window to see cactices pass by as they continued driving along the road.

The man sighed as he said “You can always talk to me Ash.”

Ash quickly said in an annoyed voice, “Look Jim, there is nothing to say. My parents died a year ago, there was nothing else to talk about.”

Jim sighed as he said, “Fine.”

Three hours later, they passed a sign that read, Old Mountain Valley. Ash was surprised to see that there were layers upon layers of trees that sat in front of them.

Ash asked, “Are we almost there yet?”

As soon as Ash asked that question a sign read, Old Mountain Valley, one mile. She rolled her eyes as they went around a small bend in the road and slowly went down a long hill. Once they were at the bottom of the hill, they turned left and started mentoring into the city.

“Well, we are here.” Jim said as he drove down the road.

Ash instantly said, “No shit.”

Jim smiled as he pulled into the driveway of a medium sized house that looked to have three floors. The wooden panels were a light brown color with gray shingles surrounding the rooftop. 

Jim said as he opened his car door, “Alright, time for you to get your snarky ass out of my car and into your new home.”

Ash quickly grabbed two bags from the back seat as she opened the car door and said with a smile, “Now I don’t have to see your ugly mug any more.”

She instantly hopped out of the car while shutting the door behind her and watched as Jim shut his car door before he pulled out of the driveway once she was standing in front of the car.

Jim rolled down the window and said as he started to drive away, “Bitch.”

Ash stuck her middle finger out for a briefe second and quickly retracted her finger as she walked over to the front door. She slowly opened the door and walked in through the doorway while shutting the door behind her with a sigh.

“Well mom, dad. I am home.” Ash said as she looked around at her new home. The floors were made of wooden panels while the walls were covered in dark green wallpaper that had white flowers on it.

There was a small wooden staircase that looked like it led up to the second and third floor, The floors were made of wooden panels while the walls were covered in dark green wallpaper that had white flowers on it. There was a small wooden staircase that looked like it led up to the second and third floor.

Ash said in an annoyed voice, “Gease mom, why did you have to leave me such a big house in your will.” 

She quickly went up the stairs to the second floor to see that there were at least five doors that lead to the five different bedrooms. Ash quickly walked into the first bedroom to see a king size bed that sat in the center of the west wall with a small dresser sitting on the left side of the bed.