chapter 4

I don’t remember much about when I was young and I don't trust my dreams. I don’t even believe in my dreams because I don’t want to believe that my parents kept things from me or drugged me when I heard things that I wasn’t supposed to hear. I just don’t want to remember my parents that way, it would just kill me if I remembered them that way.

The next day, Ash yawned as she slowly woke up to the sun shining through the window and slowly turned to see that Jimmy was gone. Ash quickly sat up and looked around the room to see that she was the only one in the room, there was no one else in the room to be seen. She quickly got up from her bed and walked over to her wardrobe for some clothes. Once she reached the wardrobe Ash pulled out a pair of blue jean pants and a white shirt with straps. Once Ash was finished getting dressed, she quickly went down stairs with a basket full of her dirty clothes.

“Shit, I have to go to the police station today.” Ash said as she walked dawn a set of stairs that led to the basement.

Once she reached the bottom of the stairs Jimmy said, “I already went down to the police station and handled everything.”

Ash sighed as she said with a smile, “Thanks. I was wondering where you went. What are you doing anyways?” 

Jimmy quickly said, “Your dryer wasn’t working so I thought I would fix it.”

“You are kidding right?” Ash asked as she walked over to the washing machine that sat across against the north wall.

Jimmy smiled as he said, “Well, I just finished fixing the dryer so you don't have anything to worry about.”

Ash smiled as she placed the hamper onto the ground while opening the lid to the washer that sat on the top. Jimmy watched as Ash slowly put her clothes into the washer.

Jimmy asked, “How are you feeling?”

Once Ash was finished putting her clothes in the washer she grabbed the laundry detergent off of the rack that sat above the washer and dryer. 

Ash replied as she poured the soap into the washer, “I’m fine now that the man from last night is in jail.”

Jimmy quickly said as Ash started the washer, “Yeah and there were other women that came forth too so he is going to jail.”

Ash sighed as she said, “Thank god but there is something that is bugging me.”

Jimmy asked in confusion, “What is that?” 

“You came to my house at my breaking point, why did you come over when you did?” Ash asked in confusion.

Jimmy sighed as he replied, “Well, I figured I would tell you how Jake is doing since he did collapse onto your kitchen floor.”

Ash asked, “Is he feeling better now?”

Jimmy smiled as he replied, “It takes more than getting sick to bring him down.”

Ash chuckled as she said “Alright, I trust you on that now let's head up stairs.”

Jimmy quickly went up stairs silently, the rest of the day they watched TV and Ash did her chores. Once the sun went down, Ash walked Jimmy over to her front door and they quickly stood by the door silently.

Jimmy quickly said, “I will walk you to the RTD bus tomorrow.”

Ash slowly said with a hint of blush on her face, “Alright but you are welcome to stay another night if you want to.”

Jimmy smiled once more as he said, “As much as that is tempting I have to go home to take care of my little brother. He was at summer camp last night and I have to watch him tonight so no thank you but thank you Ash.”

Ash sighed as she said, “Well that is too bad, I didn’t know you had a little brother.”

“Well he is actually fifteen but I still call him my little brother.” Jimmy said as he opened the door.

Ash said as she watched Jimmy step outside, “But he still is your little brother no matter how old he gets.”

“Exactly, good night Ash.” Jimmy said as he started to close the door.

Ash said before the door was completely closed, “Good night Jimmy. Be safe out there.”

Once Jimmy closed the door with a light click, Ash locked the door and went to bed after putting her clean clothes away.