Chapter 28 - Divine

Brenna Blackwater

I felt my cheeks blush as I helped Jasper remove his clothes. Thankfully, he only needed help with his shirt. He was still pretty sore from his injuries. I sat it on the edge of the bed as his massive hands meticulously undid the buckle of his pants. I gulped as he undid the buttons that fastened his trousers closed. I tried not to stare, but even his hands were captivating.

Jasper had been in the infirmary for about five weeks. Today was the first day they let him return to his living quarters. He is still injured but healthy enough to stay in his room. I was surprised that they had replaced his scorched bed and linens. I remembered the smoldering bed and wondered why he had burned it. Was it because I said to or for another reason? "It looks like you have a new bed," I paused. "What made you burn the old one?"

He scratched the back of his head before answering. "I decided in my drunken state that I did not want a bed if you were not in it," he trailed off, seemingly embarrassed.

"I wonder who you got that idea from," I laughed.

He shook his head and chuckled to himself before dropping his pants. I watched his tired muscles ripple and the veins on his arms bulge. I turned away to give him some privacy. I don't think I could handle seeing him so bare again. I might faint. I could hear him chuckle again behind me. His laughter caused my cheeks to burn brighter. "It's not like you haven't seen it before, little warrior."

I could die right here thinking about him naked. I gave him a threatening look. "Oh, shut up and get in the bath," I demanded. I had been by his bedside since he came back. I was so afraid that he was going to die those first couple of days. By some miracle, their injuries were not fatal. Sten had an arrowhead removed and should be okay with medicine to fend off infection. Jasper got the worst of it. He vaguely explained what happened, not wanting to go into great detail. The severe bruising to his torso told of how bad it really was.

Jasper was now mostly healed except for some lingering soreness and bruising. When he first came home, the healer thought he may have broken ribs and a bruised lung but had no way of knowing for sure. She fretted over how severe he might be, but his breathing improved with rest. Thus far, I have been doting on him hand in foot. I couldn't help myself. I wasn't about to let him out of my sight. I had been putting up with his shameless flirting during his healing process. I kept my eyes to myself and waited until I heard him go to the washroom and get into the granite tub. "You can look now, Princess. I'm covered," he laughed.

I peeked inside to be sure before nervously picking up a cloth and sitting on the side of the tub. I plunged the washcloth under the soapy water to wet it. Jasper watched me intently as I wrung out the rag before scrubbing at the grime on his chest. He had not had a bath in weeks. The healers did help him wash while he was in the infirmary, but there was only so much a basin of water and sponge could do. "Why did you not tell me?" I asked him.

"Tell you what?"

"About you and Paige. About what happened that night?"

"Would you believe me?"

I hesitated before answering, "I am not sure." I looked down, not wanting to meet his gaze.

He lifted my chin before speaking. "If I had walked in on you in that position, I would have thought the same." I nodded. "I planned to talk to you once I came home after we both had time to cool off. I just wanted to give you space to heal after learning about your father."

"I am sorry."

"You do not need to be. You were not the only one who made a mistake. I should have told you from the start about Corvus. Maybe we could have avoided all this if I had. All that matters now is that we are on the same page. Know that I will never lie to you, Brenna. You mean too much to me."