Chapter 1 A Small Town

Key: (Y/N)= Your Name
          (L/N)= Last Name

THWAK

"Got a new one for ya."

The sound of papers being tossed atop of your desk was enough to pull you out of your train of thought. Craning your neck to your right, you looked up keeping your fingers hovering over the keyboard. Your gaze dipped, now eyeing the manilla folder suspiciously.

You sighed, disappointed.

"Another reject case?" You frowned dragging your gaze back to the illuminated old computer screen. You kept your head up, resisting the urge to lower it in defeat.

"So what if it is?" The burly man at the side of your, crammed in the corner, desk was the chief of police. Your supervisor here within this small police station. In a small town.
"You don't get to pick what cases you get. I do. You get what I hand ya, and don't say a word 'bout it. Got that?"

He scratched the prickly facial hair barely growing at his chin. Crinkling his eyes at you in irritation. You wanted to argue with him, after all this was sexist! You knew it was. But you knew better now not to say a word. Lest you get in more trouble than this is all worth.

Your fingers resumed typing away in the document you had open, your head kept glued in place facing the screen. But your eyes met his from the corners.

"Yes sir." You looked back at your report hesitating in typing a new word into the document.
"But what about my current assignment? I just finished wrapping it up, I'm working on the case report now."

The chief thought for a moment, one hand resting on the worn suspenders he wore against his round stomach. His thumb ran up and down the elastic, eyes lingering off to the side as he pondered your question. Eventually he scoffed, his lips curling into a sneer.

"Don't waste my time with stupid these kinds of stupid questions girl." He puffed, stuffing his other hand inside his pant pocket.
"Let someone else do it. I don't give a shit. Just get this one done, or else."

He slid between the sandwiched desks in the room away from yours. Not giving you another second of his time. You huffed glaring at your half written report, staring at it as it awaited your next sentence.

Small town. Small minds!

He made you so mad sometimes. Actually being the only woman officer within the station made you mad sometimes. You felt as though you were stuck in a bad sort of movie, playing the role as the beautiful dame who wandered into the station to be gawked and whistled at.

You're not sure what's worse, your analogy or the creeping thought in the back of your mind that the truth was you were more of an errand girl than the dame in a black and white film or an officer.

Shaking your head at the thought, you positioned your hands back over the keyboard intent on wrapping up the report regardless of what the chief said. (Because if you didn't, the others would either half ass it or steal your work and take the credit for the entire case. Which has happened before.)

Fingers typing away, you finished as quickly as you could. Sending it in to be reviewed, you diverted your attention towards the abandoned folder against your desk. The silver clasp of the back was up facing the room, the light caught on the metal.

Guess there's no more beating around the bush.

You sighed to the thought. Reluctantly you scooted your chair over, moving closer to the manilla folder to inspect it. You wondered what boring case awaited you this time.