Chapter 5

It was sunset, the songs of the birds were heard in the depths of the forest and its tranquility began to abound.

A young man with fine brown hair and a serene countenance lay resting on the trunk of a thick tree reading a book whose writings were the mysteries of the present gloomy forest. But an overwhelming scream broke him from his calm reading.

A little angry that they interrupted him from his placid moment, he prepared to get up from his rest and went to the place of origin of that cry. At the moment of approaching, he could see a blonde-haired girl who was facing a herd of beings smaller than her that surrounded her.

He knows them as the gnomes, short, forest-dwelling creatures who wear red pointy hats and mostly work in teams. They are cowardly when an enemy stronger than themselves attacks them, but they are savage if a stranger meddles with their queen.

The girl was holding a wooden stick and with that, she batted those creatures away from her. Faced with such a scene, the boy couldn't help but laugh, since the girl who beat them complained to them for having deceived her by camouflaging themself as a human and feeding her illusions that she could finally go out with a boy who would pay attention to her.

But his moment of entertainment was stopped when one of the gnomes noticed his presence and called his companions to attack. Without an iota of concern that he would be harmed, the gem that he wore around his neck glowed moderately, and with it, the gnomes that were close to him were floated and sent flying far away from where they were, although it would have been worse for those beings if it weren't for the presence of another person.

The blonde-haired girl was shocked to see such a scene, an unusual event occurred in front of her and she was intrigued to know the origin of such magic. The chestnut-haired man paid no attention to her action and only warned her witheringly that wandering around dangerous and unknown places could put her life at risk.

That said, the boy observed the fearful reaction on the part of the girl, her attempt to restrain herself from showing her vulnerable side in front of him was evident. That look of people towards him always satisfied him, since it showed how imposing and manipulative he could be.

Without further ado, the handsome boy chose to leave, but part of him knew that the blonde was lost in this lush and mystical forest. The brunette didn't want to occupy his mind with questions of what might happen to her if he left her there, so finally, a little annoyed at her presence, he motioned for her to follow him.

Arriving at an entrance between the forest and the city, he waited for the blonde to withdraw and walk away from him, but before that, she turned her gaze to him and offered him a sincere and gentle smile in thanks.

It is there that he was able to see that from those crystalline cerulean eyes of that girl, they reflected a hidden mystery that personally only intrigued him and captivated him more. A first encounter that would take him on mysterious adventures with mystical and magical beings within the enigmatic forest, along with her.

Those memories were unleashed in his memory because in the place he was now was where ten years ago he met a strange girl, a girl whose clothing was unique and colorful, a girl who was stubborn and persistent, a girl who shared his interest in the mysteries of a book, and finally, a girl who saw inside him beyond what he knew.

The chestnut only had memories of that girl, since it was only one summer that she visited Reverse Falls and never returned. But he would not forget that summer, because it was one of the moments that he, along with his sister and his friends, faced a rare armageddon in that town.

Those were anecdotes one would never forget.

And why does he remember them now? Perhaps being away from Reverse Falls for a while brought back old memories of those nostalgic moments. He sometimes missed Reverse Falls from Paris, either because of its tranquility, because of its silence on dark nights, and above all, because of its incomparable mystery.