10

"My dream date? Why, are you interested in taking me on one?" I chuckled, teasingly. Without waiting for an answer, I continued, "I've always wanted to go on a beach date, especially in the evenings. Walking along the shore, watching the sunset or sunrise—it just seems so romantic, don't you think?" I glanced at Aiden, noticing him staring at me intently. He simply nodded, his expression thoughtful.

"Anything else?" he prompted.

"Oh, I have plenty more ideas. Arcade dates are fun; so are day trips, volunteering together, even a library date. I'm pretty flexible as long as I'm with someone I care about."

"You're quite the romantic," Aiden chuckled, and I playfully smacked his arm.

"A girl can dream, right?" I grinned. "Okay, my turn?" He nodded, inviting me to ask my question. "What's your favorite type of music to listen to?"

"That's a difficult question Lacey" Aiden pondered for a moment before responding, "You know that kind of music that makes you feel like you should be stargazing while listening to it? It's soothing, makes you feel like you're missing something, but you're not sure what. It's the kind of music that always reminds you of someone." His answer sounded poetic, almost wistful, and I struggled to fully grasp its meaning, but I nodded in understanding.

"What was your first impression of me?" he asked, changing the topic.

I chuckled nervously. "You're not making this easy for me, are you? Honestly, I thought you were a bit annoying and maybe a bit of a brat at first. But you know what they say about first impressions—they're usually wrong, at least in my experience. How can one just assume someone's entire personality based on their first encounter alone, am I right?"

"Maybe," Aiden replied thoughtfully. "I haven't thought about it much."

I have. There have been so many times I misjudged someone based on our first encounter. I had always thought Maddie was a great person when I first saw her and I guess we all know how she turned out.

"Are you dating anyone?" I blurted out, the question escaping before I could stop it.

He paused for a moment before answering.

Aiden paused, considering his response carefully. "I'm not," he finally replied.

"What about the girl from the restaurant?" I asked, realizing I might be prying. 

He looked at me, a hint of confusion in his eyes.. "Ashton told me she was your ex..." I probably shouldn't have asked him about it. "It was a stupid question you don't have to answer it"

"We aren't together anymore and I don't feel romantically towards her" he began explaining. "Our fathers are friends, and our families are close. Her father recently fell ill, and I was visiting him that day. He's a good man, always treated Ashton and me like family. I guess I got attached to him over time."

I felt embarrassed and immature for assuming the worst.

"Okay, my turn?" Aiden asked, sensing my discomfort. I nodded, trying to push aside my jealousy.

"What's something you regret doing?" he asked gently.

"For fighting with my parents the day before they had that accident," I confessed quietly. "I refused to go along with them because I was being stubborn. Not being there to say goodbye, not getting the chance to apologize—those are my biggest regrets. I think about it every day, wondering how things might have been different if I had been there. Maybe I could've saved them, or at least been with them during their final moments."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I spoke, the pain of that loss still raw after all this time. Aiden reached out and pulled me into a comforting hug, his arms around me offering solace without needing to say a word.

I had always regretted not calling them that day. I regretted not telling them that I loved them every day when I had the chance. I regret fighting with them and not getting to apologise anymore. No matter how many times I say sorry to their graves, they will not hear it. Their last memory of mine would be of the fight and I hated it so much.

I leaned into his embrace, grateful for his silent understanding. After a moment, I pulled back slightly, meeting his gaze. "Thank you," I whispered, feeling a sense of vulnerability but also relief in sharing such a personal part of myself with him.

Aiden smiled warmly, his eyes reflecting compassion. "You don't have to thank me," he replied softly. "I'm here for you, Lacey."

We sat in silence for a while longer, the weight of our shared emotions lingering between us. The park around us was quiet, the evening settling into a serene stillness. Aiden's presence was a comfort, his steady presence reassuring me that I wasn't alone in my grief.

"Your turn," I said eventually, breaking the silence. "Ask me another question."

Aiden nodded, his expression thoughtful as he considered what to ask next. "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?"