17

Gathered at Aiden's house to discuss the trip we'd impulsively planned, I felt nervous for no apparent reason. Though I wasn't alone, something about being there made me uneasy. College had been fun, and it was hard to believe we were already in the last month of the fall semester. Time had flown by so quickly.

"Okay, I'll tell our entire plan again. Lacey, please try to listen this time," Ava said, and I nodded, a bit embarrassed. "So, we leave on Sunday for Ashton's family beach house. Jason will handle booking the tickets. Aiden and Ashton will make the itinerary, and Lacey," she looked at me to ensure I was paying attention, "Zo, Emma, and I will come over to your place on Saturday." I nodded, accepting my role. "You guys need to finish everything before Sunday. Got it?" She pointedly looked at those with important roles.

I leaned back on the couch, resuming my attempt to watch the movie playing on the big TV screen. But I couldn't concentrate. Maddie had been on my mind ever since she started showing up at our lunch table, constantly flirting with Aiden and bickering with Ashton as if they were old friends. Despite our efforts to ignore her, she persisted, draining our energy.

"I'll get us something to eat," I said, getting up from my seat beside Aiden and navigating my way to the kitchen in the darkness. I heard someone shout, "I'll help you," and light footsteps followed me. "Thanks, Emma," I smiled at her.

I carried the empty popcorn bowls and took out more popcorn bags from the cabinets, putting them in the microwave.

"How does he have so many snacks?" Emma snickered.

"He loves junk food. He's always raiding my snack stash when he comes over," I chuckled, remembering how he could devour five bags of LAYS in one go. Emma smiled back.

"Can I ask you something?" she questioned, and I nodded. "Jason is your cousin, right?" I nodded again, curious. "Do you know if he's... I don't know, dating someone?" She shyly played with her hair, a blush creeping up on her pale skin.

"You like him?!" I exclaimed, and she nodded shyly. "As far as I know, he's not involved with anyone right now. Why don't you get to know him better during our trip?" I suggested.

"That's a great idea, Lacey! Thank you!" she exclaimed as the popcorn finished cooking. "I'll take this back to the living room. Why don't you get the other snacks?" I nodded and searched for more snacks.

"Hey Aiden, where do you keep snacks?" I shouted from the kitchen, loud enough for him to hear from the living room.

"They should be in the top cabinets," he shouted back. I searched the top cabinets but couldn't reach the snacks. I was about to jump when someone reached over me, grabbing the snacks from behind.

I turned abruptly to see Aiden, our faces dangerously close. I stood frozen as he slowly took out the snacks and walked away like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I took a deep breath, trying to collect my thoughts.

Returning to the living room, I took my seat beside Aiden. He passed me a bag of chips, which I gladly accepted. The movie had gotten boring halfway through, and everyone had fallen asleep except Aiden and me. We decided to finish watching the movie, though I wasn't sure I could stay awake.

My eyelids grew heavy, but I tried to stay awake. "They look so comfortable," I snickered, looking at Jay and Xavier hugging each other.

"Watch them scream in the morning," Aiden laughed. "Do you want to sleep? You look tired," he said, looking at me.

"I can watch more. Let's just finish the movie," I nodded, and we continued watching in silence.

Our hands brushed against each other occasionally, and I wondered if he was doing it intentionally. I was hopelessly smitten with him, hating to admit how he made me feel both weak and strong. He was the reason I was enjoying life now, unknowingly helping me in ways I wanted to tell him about.