11 - Kiss of the Don.

When I looked at Alessandro, it was glaringly clear that he was rattled

When I looked at Alessandro, it was glaringly clear that he was rattled. His face was all twisted up in discomfort, and his eyes locked with mine, sending some kind of silent message. I couldn't quite figure out if he was trying to threaten me or begging me not to reveal the truth about us - about how we really ended up together. That alone showed how much Geoffrey mattered to him; Alessandro didn't want to mess up Geoffrey's good opinion of him.

Geoffrey seemed like a genuinely good man, his face radiating a kindness that could soothe even the most troubled soul. His smile was warm and sincere, the kind that made you believe in the goodness of people. Someone like him definitely wouldn't take kindly to kidnapping and forced marriage. I had the power to shatter the image Geoffrey held of Alessandro, to dismantle whatever bond they shared. It was a power Alessandro had used to destroy my relationship with my father and Miguel, and perhaps it would be justified to wield it in return. But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to do that; it wasn't in me to find satisfaction in others' suffering.

The atmosphere was thick with awkwardness, and I found myself wanting to defuse it. "You know," I began, trying to infuse my voice with a casual nonchalance, "Life can be very intriguing. It brings us together in strange and mysterious ways and takes us down some unexpected paths. And I guess that's how we ended up here."

"I never thought I'd see the day you get married, Alessandro," Geoffrey said, his voice tinged with pride. "Where did you find this beautiful young woman, my boy? Women like her are rare."

"Her father and mine are in the same business, Geoff," Alessandro replied, his gaze never leaving mine. "That's how we met."

"Yeah," I chimed in with a forced chuckle. "It's not like he kidnapped me and forced me to marry him or anything." I laughed, pretending it was a joke, even though it was anything but.

The fleeting connection of my eyes with Alessandro's was a bit unnerving. It was almost as if a fierce storm of thoughts was raging within him, reflected in the unspoken intensity in his eyes. Yet, as discomforting as it was, I felt an odd sense of satisfaction. My intention was to give him an out without making it obvious and by the look on his face, he clearly had gotten my drift.

Geoffrey burst into hearty laughter at my comment, helping to lighten the mood. But sensing the growing tension, he said, "There's no clear roadmap for what life has in store for us."

Alessandro abruptly pushed his chair back and stood up. "I need to step out for a bit. Can you stay with Yasenia until I get back?" he asked before heading straight for the door.

"Sure thing. Take all the time you need," Geoffrey replied, bustling around the table to collect the dishes.

I followed Alessandro to the door, calling after him. "Where are you headed?"

"Just have to take care of something. You'll be alright with Geoff," he threw over his shoulder.

With no other choice, I nodded and turned back inside.