FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE[ The Lonely Side of Magic ]"Don't die

CHAPTER FIVE
[ The Lonely Side of Magic ]
"Don't die. Constantines
aren't known for their cooperation"

JOHANNA CONSTANTINE WAS JUST LIKE HER ANCESTORS. Azrail had easily traced the woman and came to recognise the woman's power through the thin layer of red that slid off her pale skin like how the Reaper was defined by a violet aroma. The Constantine family had a long history of demonic rituals and satanic cults connected to the very depths of hell, and the vibrant glow surrounding the woman was an indication of her following in ancestors footsteps. Azrail watched under the cloak of darkness, long deceased demons and spirits also stalking woman signalled broken promises and inevitable betrayal followed the woman wherever she went and infected whomever she came to love. A lot of grief weighed heavily over Johanna's shoulders. She had obviously been dealt unfortunate cards in life that she had little control over.

            It was a cruel life to live.

            Even by the standards of the Grim Reaper, Azrail couldn't imagine living with such grief rotating on an endless and unforgiving cycle that you couldn't rid yourself no matter how hard you tried. She hadn't ever seen someone with such negativity forever constricting around their figure, it was an peculiar sight that stunned even the Angel of Death and left her with nothing but pity.

             Johanna froze upon seeing the hooded figure, the dark silhouette contrasting against the dim street lamps of London's empty night. Her dark attire reflected the golden hues to leave twinkling crystals seemingly stuck to the train of the long cloak, scythe leaning forward with a glint of blinding reflection bouncing from its curvature.

              "That time already?" Johanna remarked sarcastically, recognising the Grim Reaper's undefined features in an instant. "Figured I'd have a few more years."

             "You do," Azrail insisted bluntly, voice lacking the sympathy she maintained for Lord Morpheus. "I'm not here for your soul, Constantine."

Johanna was masking her hidden thoughts with expert skill. Azrail couldn't see even a slither of fear. It was as if the sorcerer was waiting for Death to come and scoop her up, escorting her soul to the next realm in the blink of an eye. The Grim Reaper was perplexed, the reaction being odd to say the least. Death and her had shared experiences when it came to escorting souls to the next world. Once the person realised who they really are, they panic, beg for more time, plead with the cosmic entities for mercy.

"Well, I'm busy then," Johanna declared casually, continuing down the empty streets with her hands tucked in the deep pockets of her white trench coat.

Azrail sputtered. "Busy?" she repeated loudly, stalking after the woman with a deep frown never easing from her pale features. "No, we have business to discuss-,"