TWENTY THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE[ And The Walls Kept Tumbling Down

[ And The Walls Kept Tumbling Down... ]
"I'm okay, and I'm not going anywhere"

MAEVE RANDOMLY FROZE MID STEP AND AZRAIL RAN RIGHT INTO THE ANGEL. The Grim Reaper winced as she took a slow step back, leaning to look over her sister's furrowed glare as she watched thin air pass.

"What is it?" Azrail asked with caution, suddenly summoning her scythe as she glanced down the empty street to watch the shadows waver under the flickering street lamps above their head.

              Maeve's lips pursed. "Something's wrong," she murmured with pursed lips, looking to the skies for some answer from the god who dismissed her. "Rose is calling me."

Azrail pursed her lips and rolled her eyes. "At least some creatures listen."

Fading from the sight of the mortals, Maeve's wings expanded out from between her shoulder blades, gently fluttering in the wind as her sweatpants and hoodie also suddenly became the long white gown she was associated with. "Do you mind opening a portal for me?"

The Grim Reaper didn't worry about protesting as she collected her scythe from Oblivion. "Where we headed?" Urgency twisted through her words and she drew a jagged line through the empty air. But it wasn't just Rose's call that sent a shudder through the air as the natural balance was once again beginning to tip. The spirits were restless, hiding behind Azrail in a panic as the sisters crossed the portal to land in front of a rather large hotel. A storm was beginning to roll in from the distance.

                  "I don't like this..." Maeve whispered, drawing in a slow breath.

                   Azrail glanced over her shoulder, watching the spirits that lingered whisper their panic thoughts into the tense silence. "Me neither." An ominous black cloud clung to the tall building, the stars vanishing amongst the dark fluff as rain began to trickle down through the empty air. "At what point do you call your friends?"

                    "Neither the League nor the JSA can handle this," Maeve insisted, pushing both doors open with a flick of the hand. "This is too supernatural for them."

                     "And Fate?"

                     "He doesn't care enough to help. Come on."

                     With a clenched jaw, Azrail stalked after her sister, who walked bravely through the open halls and through the sick and twisted groups of murderers that flooded the halls. Maeve's eyes were sharp as she glared at each and everyone of them, clearly seeing the dark auras hidden deep within their souls as they tried desperately to add some type of reason to their pathetic actions.