TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX[ A Heroic Decision ]"Maybe

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
[ A Heroic Decision ]
"Maybe... when the world isn't ending..."

THE PALACE WAS CRUMBLING. When they returned to the Dreaming, the effects of the Vortex were already evident as cracks lined the once untouched valleys with storm clouds rolling in from the distance. But to Maeve it was the most beautiful realm she had ever visited.

            "Wow..." she whispered, spinning in a circle as she stalked after Morpheus and Azrail. The tall walls and stone statues that depicted creatures of all heritage took her breath away. Not to mention the colourful murals that casted an array of colour across the reflective tiles, and the lands left untouched by man that seemed to lack any imperfection to her.

They had to travel via the Sandman's sand instead of Oblivion, and though it left Maeve gagging when they initially teleported into the Dreaming, it worked just as efficiently.

"Vortex and the world in danger aside, this place is gorgeous," Maeve praised, sprinting to the closest window and peering outside with her eyes as bright as a little kid on Christmas morning.

              "She should be entering sleep soon," Morpheus insisted. He turned to Maeve, a sense of confusing striking him suddenly. "I do not see what it is you believe you can do."

              The Fallen Angel crossed her arms defiantly, turning her nose up at the King of Dreams. "At this point, I'm just here for my magic," she confessed.

               Morpheus rolled his eyes. "So heroic," he mumbled bluntly.

               It didn't take a genius to see he wasn't pleased Maeve was lingering around. For Dream of the Endless, it felt like a violation of the greater order to let a disgraced angel enter his realm. But she had shown she was more then willing to put her own safety at risk if it meant the betterment of the greater world and in that sense, they still remained on the same side. To serve the humans. To protect them.

"Okay so, what's our plan here?" Maeve asked, joining Azrail and Morpheus by the window. "It doesn't sound like this girl is going to go willingly."

Azrail leant her head lazily against her scythe, fingers drumming along the slick staff in thought. Humming, she said; "Morpheus takes us to her, you and him restrict her with whatever energy and magic you can muster and I'll bring my scythe down upon her." She looked at the Endless, who only smile and offered a short nod to affirm the short and simple plan.

               "Is she here yet?" Maeve asked with a tilted head directed at Dream of the Endless.

                The King of Dreams shook his head. "No, but she will be, soon."