05

Alisa thought it would be good if I got sometime away from the boys and instead got sometime in the public eye. To do this she invited over a girl named Thea for me to go on a 'Girls Day' with.

Alisa led me to Oren's car. When I opened the door to the backseat, there was a black-haired girl in the back already. She looked up from phone and over at me and smiled. "Y/n, this is Thea Calligaris. She knows the family. It'll be good if the press sees you two out together," Alisa explained.

"Hi," she smiled giving me a wave as I climbed in the car and shut the door behind me.

"Hey," I said wearily. Her last name was Calligaris. Zara's last name was Hawthorne-Calligaris. I already don't trust this girl. Why would Alisa make me spend the day with someone who's relative is running a test on my DNA as we speak?!

"I'm Thea, but you already know that," she chuckled lightly. Why was she so smiley? It was weird.

"I'm Y/n Pierce."

"Oh, I know that, Silly. Everybody does now!" She's so cheery it's off putting. It was hard to tell whether she was being sincere or not.

"How has everything been for you? I know this must be a lot."

"'A lot' is a bit of an understatement."

"Oh I'm sure! You know, I've always had wealth, but even after all this time, it can be hard for me to," she looked at me with a sympathetic look on her face. Was she trying to make me feel sorry for her cause she was rich? I wasn't sure how to respond to something like that, so I decided nothing was probably best.

"Well," she continued. "I can only imagine living in that house only makes it worse." I read between the lines: living with that family.

"I mean, it's not that bad."

"Not that bad?!" she scoffed. "You may not have released it yet, and I guess I can't blame you for that. Sure, maybe they're 'not that bad' right now, but that family, those boys, are nothing but bad. They're trouble; they're dangerous. You should watch your back around them," her eyes met mine. "Especially now that you have their money."

I stared at her, a shiver going down my spine. Why would she be trying to protect me if she would benefit from me not being here? What was she trying to protect me from? I thought for a second. Just how far were the Hawthornes willing to go to get their fortune back?

• • •

"We're here," Oren said as the car came to a halt. I looked out the window and saw we were at some fancy, French nail salon that I couldn't pronounce the name of.

     "Ooo, mani-pedis! Fun! I could use a new set of nails anyway," she said glancing down at her neatly done nails.

     As we stepped out the car, the street was filled with reporters. Alisa must have told them we were coming. Thea stood next to me with a big smile on her face, looking at each flashing camera. I just stood there wanting to sink down into my body. I put my head down and rushed to the door of the salon while Thea took her time.

     When we walked in, the salon was empty expect for the staff. There were large crystal chandeliers hanging from the high ceilings which were framed with ornate crown molding. The floors were marble tiles with plush white rugs every so often. This was the place of my childhood dreams.

     A man came out from the back and opened his arms. "Ah, welcome my dear mademoiselle," he greeted in a thick French accent. He walked over to me and kissed my hand lightly. He then turned to Thea. "Welcome back, Dame Calligaris. It is lovely to see you again," he said, kissing her hand as well. Thea replied with a smile.