Chapter II- Radagast the Brown

The enchanted forest of Greenwood beckoned to the red woman, who, although small, sat proudly atop her loyal stallion.

How could she resist such a beautiful forest?

The deep, haunting ballad of its ancient song called out to her, almost as if welcoming her home. The forest was just as she remembered; steeped in a certain mystery. With a smile gracing her pale face, she lowered her red hood and rode swiftly into the familiar forest.

But it was not what she had expected.

When had Greenwood ever been so tainted with evil? She had only been gone just shy of 12 months, and yet a darkness hung in the air and hoods of black shadow shrouded the ancient trees. Coils of vaporous mist enwrapped themselves around the red woman and her sweet stallion as they cantered on through the forest.

Adding its illusory gas to the damp breath of the forest, the mist glided with deadly intent; it deadened sound, haunted glades and poured into empty spaces. A silence overhung the hallowed ground where the trees dared not grow. Nothing stirred, nothing shone, nothing sang. A hollow echoing, like the hushed tones of a great mountain, entombed the wood.

The red woman slowed her companion to a halt and leant down in the saddle to put a comforting hand on her valiant steed.

"Come, Astar." She whispered to him, "Something dark lingers in these woods. We must find Radagast!"

Astar did not need to be told twice; all at once, he pushed himself into a steady gallop. They rode for what seemed like days, but it was only a couple of hours; it was hard to tell the time of day when no light filtered through the canopy of leaves above them.

At last, they reached a clearing that encircled an extraordinary hut. It was a ramshackle arrangement of stone and timber walls covered by a thatch roof, with a homely chimney on top. The house had been split in two by huge oak tree that had been allowed to grow from an acorn. Rhavaniel remembered the day Radagast tried to remove the oak, but being soft-hearted about all things natural he simply could not bare to uproot it. He finally resolved to live around the tree, even though anyone else would find it an inconvenience.

The evil held a weaker presence here due to Radagasts' magic, but the red woman could still sense a certain darkness in the air.

Swiftly, she dismounted Astar and strode further into the clearing, her keen eyes searching for her dear friend.

"Rhavaniel?" Questioned a nervous voice, one she recognised as Radagasts.

"Radagast, my dearest friend!" She exclaimed, turning around to face him. In two quick steps she was at his side, embracing him in a friendly hug.

The Greenwood had changed, but Radagast certainly had not. The family of field mice were still living in his beard, the birds still nested in his hair, and his robes were still in the most frightful state.

"Oh, Rhavaniel, I am so glad you're here! I have missed you so." He managed to choke out, sounding very close to tears. Rhavaniel pulled out of his arms and took the wizards hands in her own, staring intently into his eyes which were gleaming with unshed tears.

"Calm yourself, Radagast. No good will come from panicking."

Radagast took a deep breath and tightened his grip on Rhavaniels hands. Having the Red Witch so close comforted him a great deal; she was, after all, the daughter of Yavanna and Aulë, the Queen of the Earth and the Father of the Dwarves. Although Rhavaniel was slightly wild and a little reckless, she was a beacon of hope in the darkest of times, to the forest and its beasts. She was the Princess of the Earth, and held a great power within her. As the only female member of the Istari, she was widely known but rarely seen. To the races of Middle-Earth, she was known as the elusive Red Witch, but to Radagast? She was his most trustworthy friend, as she alone understood what everyone else mocked him for; the undeniable need to care for the forests and its many beasts.

Suddenly, as if finally remembering who he was in the company of, Radagast let go of Rhavaniels hands and bent over in a deep bow.

"There is no need for that, Radagast. Such formalities are pointless. Rise, my friend. We have much to discuss."

Radagast rose to his full height and gave Rhavaniel a snaggle-toothed smile. He was taller than her, as were most. When she arrived in Middle-Earth, she decided to take on a form that much resembled a dwarf, for the race that her father created greatly interested her. She was taller than a hobbit, but shorter than the average dwarf. She found that her size made it easier to manoeuvre whilst in battle. It also meant that she could go almost anywhere and remain relatively unseen if she so wished.

"Are you referring to the darkness that surrounds this forest?" Asked Radagast.

"Well, of course." Rhavaniel replied.

"Oh, Rhavaniel. My house is so very full of sick animals! I do not know why they're all so ill! Please, won't you help me?"

Instead of answering, Rhavaniel gave a quick nod of her head. She could feel the sickness in the forest. The beasts called out to her, and so did the trees. They begged her to heal them, to banish the evil and return the forest to its former glory.

But it wasn't that simple.

She followed Radagast into his home, which was indeed full of sick animals. The brown wizard bustled around, collecting jars of herbal medicine as he went.

Like Rhavaniel, Radagast could talk to birds and animals. He most certainly had a greater understanding and wisdom than any other in Middle-Earth in the matter of animals and herb lore; he was perhaps the best.

"Radagast, I do not think this illness will be healed by your potions." Rhavaniel sighed, scooping a sick wolf pup up into her arms. "This is the work of darkness, of evil...."

"Then it is as I feared! Tell me, Rhavaniel, have you heard from Gandalf whilst on your travels? He must be told of this."
Radagast turned to face his companion. She was cradling the wolf pup in her arms, rocking him back and forth. The little bundle of fur was struggling to breath. Rhavaniel carefully placed one of her hands on his head, whispering a healing spell. The pup, with a new breath of life, squirmed in the red woman's embrace. With a faint smile tugging at her lips, she lowered him onto the floor, where he scampered off back into the forest.

"The last I heard he was on a quest. I saw him leave The Shire with a company of 13 dwarves and a hobbit a few moons ago."

"What in Valars name is he up to?" Radagast questioned.

"He is on a quest to take back Erebor, I believe. Foolish wizard."

Radagast sighed and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What ever is he thinking?! Smaug still controls the Lonely Mountain. They will get slaughtered! Regardless of where he is, Gandalf still must be told."

"As I said, he is a foolish wizard. But I agree, he must be informed."

Before Radagast could reply, a horrific screech echoed through the forest.

"Rhavaniel, we have run out of time. Quick, you must find Gandalf! He must be informed. Go! I can deal with these monsters."

"But Radagast-"

"I said be gone with you!"

With a frustrated sigh, Rhavaniel pulled her hood back over her head and ran back out into the clearing. In one, quick movement she had mounted Astar. There was no use in arguing; Radagast was no fighter but he would protect the forest until his last breath.

"Farewell, my dear friend." she said to Radagast, who had followed her out.

"Until next time, Rhavaniel!" Came his reply.

Wordlessly, Rhavaniel spurred Astar into a canter and steered him into the darkening forest. She headed East towards the Shire, praying to the Valar that she would come across Gandalf on her way.

From behind her, she heard a strangled cry of, "Sebastian!" From Radagast, but she did not turn back. Instead, she coaxed Astar into a gallop and rode on.