Chapter VI- Meeting the Dwarves

When Rhavaniel finally found the trolls cave, her temper had still not calmed and her nerves were on edge. What little respect she held for the dwarves had completely vanished; instead, it was replaced by distrust and loathing.

How could she have ever thought this was a good idea?

Rhavaniel turned to leave but was stopped by a hand on her shoulder. She immediately tensed up and went to grab one of her many daggers, instantly ready to defend herself, but was turned around to face the stranger before she could do so.

"I hope you are not doing what I think you are doing, Rhavaniel."

She relaxed again when she saw who had stopped her.

"You always have had a knack of appearing at just the right time, Gandalf."

Gandalf, for that was who it was, chuckled heartily and released Rhavaniel. He then gestured to the rocky outcrop that sat right in front of them.

"Should we sit?"

"If we must." She answered dully, but nonetheless sat in the outcrops shade. Gandalf joined her a second later.

"Rhavaniel...."

"Yes, yes. I know. I was irrational, moronic. Maybe even a little bit insane...."

Gandalf searched the folds of his slightly frayed and considerably tattered cloak, patting the pockets until he found what he was searching for.
He pulled out his favourite pipe (the one that Rhavaniel had given him) with a triumphant smile and lit it with a small flame from his fingers.

"That is not what I was going to say." He said after a slight pause.

"No," she frowned, her eyes scanning the forest, "but it is what you are thinking."

"Perhaps. But the company crossed the line; I believe Thorin needed to be taught a lesson, and you taught him well-"

"I could have killed them. I would have killed them...."

"But you did not."

Although the hood still covered her face, Gandalf knew that she was grimacing. He inhaled from his pipe and exhaled, sending smoke rings into the air. Then, he shifted so he faced Rhavaniel and took her shaking hands in his own.

She tried to yank her hands back but Gandalf gave her a stern look, so she stopped. He knew that she seldom liked human contact, but he deemed it necessary comfort her before her temper rose again.

The only other person she trusted enough to let comfort her was Radagast.

"Rhavaniel, you must stop this."

"This?" She questioned.

"Doubting yourself." He answered gruffly, "you can and you will control yourself. Middle-Earth needs you; the company needs you. Please."

"Fine."

"You have my gratitude, Rhavaniel."

Gandalf let go of her hands and leant back against the rocky wall, taking another puff of his pipe.

Rhavaniel unclasped the silver broach that held her cloak together. It fell from her shoulders into a heap, which she folded neatly and placed beside her.

She too leant back against the wall, closing her eyes and listening to the world go by. It was mostly silent, with only the birds singing their sweet morning song.

It was silent.

No sooner had she relaxed, she heard mumbling and grumbling coming from the path through the forest.