Let It Be (One Shot)

The following one-shot takes place during Kennedy's 2nd month of pregnancy, immediately after the series finale episode where Frank dies and watched everyone as a ghost.

~~~~|~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~|~~~~~

Kennedy's ringtone blasted from her smartphone, starling the young woman awake and with a groan, she reached for the device, accepting the call.

"Hello?" She felt Ian shift in bed beside her, burying his face in her bosom, attempting to get more comfortable,"Liam? What's going on.....Yeah he's here...."

Yawning, she nudged her husband's arm, Ian groaning and burying his face now in her side.

"Go to sleep babe...." He grumbled but she persisted.

"Ian, lovey wake up.... Phone for you." Kennedy handed him the device once he reluctantly rolled off of her and back on his pillow, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah? Liam slow down.....what? Seriously?" Kennedy furrowed her brows, turning on the bedside light, illuminating them in the soft glow, "No he didn't like him."

"What, what happened?" She held onto Ian's bicep, eyes wide.

"No he's dead." Gasping, Kennedy covered her mouth, now wide awake as her stomach dropped.

"Whose dead?!" She felt her throat tighten and Ian covered the speaker of his phone with his hand.

"A cousin of mine." Softening her eyes, Kennedy laid her head on Ian's shoulder sympathetically, rubbing soothing circles on his chest.

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry." Ian waved her off shaking his head.

"He died eight years ago." He clarified, and her face instantly grew annoyed as she pulled away from Ian and glared.

"Then why are they calling us in the middle of the night?!" she scowled, flipping back in bed.

  "Daddy, Mommy, what's wrong?" Kenned and Ian turned to their doorway, where Shiloh stood, yawning.

   "Your cousin baby, he passed away." Kennedy leaned back against her pillows that Ian had propped up for her.

Groaning, Ian rolled his eyes before this became more complicated, "Frank's dead for real this time and Liam was trying to find out if our one cousin still works in the funeral home down on Mercy street." Ian clarified and Kennedy was instantly taken aback by the calmness in his tone.

  Their son by this point had climbed onto their bed, settling in between them, leaning on his mother the eight year old's big eyes watching Ian while Kennedy stroked her son's hair that Tammy (always the hairdresser) complained was getting too long.

  "Frank's dead? When?" She pressed Ian and he repeated the question to Liam before turning back to his wife.

  "Last night. Was admitted in the hospital and died there......side effects of Covid." Ian said after a minute of Liam speaking to him.

  "Poor Frank....." Kennedy crossed herself while Ian scowled.

  "Poor us. Now we have to go sign paperwork to discharge the body, pay for the cremating, which due to all the alcohol in his system, caused an explosion!" Kennedy frowned, staring at Ian with disbelief at his words and Shiloh shifted uncomfortably at the tone in his father's voice, gripping his mother's hand and played with her wedding ring.

  "Ian how can you possibly be so insensitive." She crossed her arms as he held up a finger, still talking to Liam which only caused his wife to bristle more.