Chapter 13

It was two days after Thanksgiving that Ian and Mickey were finally caught by Terry.

Josephina happened to be taking a jog in the town, somehow ending on the outskirts of the Southside.

   She had only paused to fix her shoelace when she heard someone cough painfully. Quickly straightening up, she came face to face with a bruised and battered Ian.

"Ian? Oh my God." The girl covered her mouth, catching the boy before he could step side her.

The waitress at Patsy's Pies eyed Ian's bruised figure distastefully as she placed a cup of coffee before Josephina and a glass of coke before Ian before walking away.

"Wish you guys had a pizzeria with a Starbucks down here. Though personally, I find Starbucks to be overrated. My fiancée Paul, his-grandparents own the nicest little cafe that makes the yummiest biscotti. Kennedy loves em." Josephina smiled fondly while Ian stared at her.

"Look, Josephina I don't know what you think you saw, but I'm begging you, please don't tell Kennedy I'm already on thin ice with her. This was supposed to b the last time....." He started but the older girl raised a hand, taking a sip from her coffee and grimacing.

"God this is shitty," she wrinkled her nose "I'm not telling Kennedy, because she doesn't need her blood pressure raised right now in the state she's in. But I am warning you, Ian. Don't fuck up like this again." She watched the boy's body deflate with relief.

"Thank you, Joe, seriously." Ian sat back in the booth, wincing at the ache that ran over his back.

"You don't know much about my family do you?" She cocked a brow "My mom's family that is. They're very respected people and so is my birth father. We don't take kindly to betrayal or insults. See, I've done my research and I've heard of your little boyfriend's family. The Milkovich's? They're nothing compared to my family in New York," Josephina glared at the redhead who paled "I like you, Ian, I like your ambition to join the army, and you must know all about friendly fire right? I don't like giving out warnings and I hate violence. I'm a registered nurse and trust me, you don't want to hurt my Kennedy because if you do, and you get through with your training and one day you have an accident and need to be tended too, I may just slip with my surgical knife and remove your boys." Josephina winked lifting up her cup to take another drink.

"Follow me to the ladies room and I'll see if I can clean you up before Kennedy delivers prematurely." Josephina slapped some bills onto the counter before rising from her chair, Ian following silently.

When the two eventually arrived back to the Brewer's house, Ian went straight to the guest bedroom, closing the door behind him before crawling underneath the covers and cried silently.

   After a few minutes, there was a light knock on the door and the sound of feet padded across the room. The bed sank under the weight of the person and Ian felt a hand rub his back soothingly.

''Ian? Are you okay baby?"!Kennedy's soft concerned voice only caused another wave of tears to run down the redhead's cheeks.

''Just go away Kennedy.'' He mumbled in the pillow and said girl furred her brows.

''Ian?''

''I said go away!'' He barked, causing her to jump. Kennedy stared at the sheet covered figure of her boyfriend before struggling to stand up and walk towards the door, pausing when she heard a muffled sob before continuing on her way out.

   Ian remained in bed for two days, only leaving the room when Kennedy's mother came to inform him that Fiona was taking Frank to child custody court and he would have to be present to make his statement.

  Kennedy waited inside the car for her boyfriend who depressingly clambered into the SUV, leaning his head against the window to stare miserably out the window.

Frowning, she scooted over and reached out to take his hand, pressing it on her stomach until a flurry of little kicks was felt, and she grinned as it succeeded in bringing a smile to his face.

"No matter what happens, we're both here for you." She whispered in his ear before kissing his jaw and leaning her head on his shoulder.

I know, I know, it's short, but I really wanted to give you guys something of an update.