3 | One of Us

* * *

* * *

"Okay, guys, make sure you're on your best behavior," said Gloxinia as the demons waited in the throne room.

"I make no promises." Helia stubbornly crossed his arms and closed his eyes. He was unwilling to keep an open mind as had been instructed by Zeldris.

"I actually agree with him," Dalmaroz confessed. "A human? Look, I know we are a welcoming people, bringing in even other races among us, but a human seems out of the question. Humans can't be trusted."

"We said the same about Helia." Tala made a fair point.

"Hey!" He was offended.

"Am I wrong? You were a member of the goddess clan once, after all. Our sworn enemy?"

"In my defense, I became a fallen angel. So I no longer had any ties whatsoever to the goddesses at the time," Helia stated matter-of-factly.

"Either way, O brought you in and we trusted her judgement. I think it's only right we trust Zeldris's. He would never steer us wrong." Tala nodded firmly, agreeing with her own words.

Helia looked at Tala for a moment. Her sweet smile broke through his hard exterior. "You're a pain in my ass." He conceded and assured her he would behave.

"Iris," Dalmaroz wound an arm around her shoulders, resting his head against hers. "Is this a safe bet?"

"I don't see any immediate danger," she replied with a slight shrug as she stroked his face with her finger. "Though, the future is filled with endless possibilities. All I can see is a mere portion."

"What about Ace?" He lowered his voice.

"No threat there, either."

"That's my girl." Dalmaroz kissed her head.

Tozgal was abnormally quiet, drowning in his thoughts. He remained separate from the others, unable to act as if what they were doing was normal. Frankly, he wasn't sold on Zeldris's decision, either. It seemed unwise to include the human who had already caused the prince so much trouble. Zeldris was far too lenient and that pissed Tozga off greatly. He couldn't respect his best friend's decision.

When Zeldris stepped into the room, all conversation died down and he had everyone's attention. Awkwardly, he cleared his throat and ushered Gilthunder in to join him.

Judgemental eyes were glued to Gilthunder as he followed Prince Zeldris further into the room. He couldn't help being on edge as he found himself in the lions' den surrounded by hungry, aggressive predators eager to rip apart their prey's flesh. With no other choice, he stuck close to Zeldris who irritably pushed him away to get some space.

"So, this is the one?" Dalmaroz broke the agonizing silence that had befallen them. He drew closer and sized Gilthunder up then determined there was nothing particularly intriguing about him.