16 | Providence

* * *

* * *

Meliodas tried to recall where everything in his life went wrong to lead him to this point. He'd done many things he wasn't proud of for the sake of what was 'right' without ever thinking of the consequences the ones who once believed in him would suffer. In such a short time, he'd destroyed his clan and set them up to fail when they were forced to take the fall for the war. At the time, it seemed like the only way out but he'd since realized it wasn't the way things should've gone. Hindsight was a real bitch and it burdened Meliodas every day knowing he'd been the cause of so much anguish.

Obsidian's hate for him was completely justified. He'd taken something planned and turned the tables, blindsiding her. When it came down to it, he'd chosen his own selfishness and happiness over the betterment of his people. Back then, he'd thought it was best for him to leave, but it was Obsidian who'd shown him what he had left behind was just as important as what he was running towards.

Leave it to Obsidian to make him see what a fool he'd been. His previous ambitions to control the demon clan had transformed into a desire to help them. Would it be possible to bring that happiness and freedom to the demons? Would they ever agree to peace among the races? Could they be as open-minded as he? Meliodas had his doubts, but still, a part of him wanted the demons to feel the way he had once he'd left all the bullshit hatred behind him.

The insurmountable pain Meliodas felt invading his body forced him in a bad position. His left eye was nearly swollen shut thanks to a dirty punch Azrael had managed to throw in. What was supposed to be a battle of strength turned into the men punching the shit out of each other. Though Meliodas was able to hold his own, Azrael had definitely proved that he was a perfect match.

It was like way back when they'd battled to the death and Azrael had so graciously lost the fight. The two powerhouses had always been able to keep up with each other, but Azrael's love for Obsidian had been his Achilles's heel in the end. Though he'd given his life to save hers, Azrael had never felt happier in that moment than knowing his love would live to see another day, even if it wasn't with him. He would've given anything just to let Obsidian be free and if he had to, he'd do it all again for her sake. Azrael would never again fear death. If he were to die here today, he swore to take Meliodas with him by any means necessary.

Meliodas glanced over at Azrael who laid some feet away, bloodied and exhausted. "I knew your death was too good to be true." He held his rapidly beating chest.

"You should know it...takes more than that to kill me," Azrael tried to catch his breath. His body was under great duress as he'd been pushing himself way over the limit without properly regaining all of his strength.

He'd gotten in way over his head believing his accumulated strength in the last few days would be enough to fully decimate Meliodas. They'd been evenly matched, but that wasn't enough for Azrael. He needed to win. He needed to secure this victory so the world would know that he was the better man.