Chapter Six

The next day, Mr Nos picks us up again in the rickety carriage. He's still grumpy looking, Hank is still Hank, Emily's still shy, Peni still likes talking, Rachel's still hiding under a hood, and Eddy is still angry.

I'm shocked we all decided to come back. I really am.

When we reach school, an absolute mess is waiting for us. Okay, more of a mess.

Toilet parchment and massive dragon dung patties cover the entire watchtower. Also, someone messed with the sign. It now reads, The Magic School for the Utterly Useless.

'What happened?' says Peni as we climb off the carriage.

'Students from the Academy for the Gifted pranked us,' Mr Nos says calmly. He doesn't seem bothered by it. 'They do this every year.' He then walks inside.

Why do I feel so angry about this? I shouldn't. This is a terrible school. A school I didn't want to come to in the first place. But I do feel angry. It's bubbling away inside me. In fact, I feel as angry as Eddy looks. And to my surprise, everyone feels the same way.

'They think because they go to the best school in the city,' says Rachel, 'they can do this.'

'I hate them,' says Emily in her soft voice.

'I'm going to tell my dad about this,' says Peni. 'He'll give the students who did this a really good telling off. And boy, can he give a good telling off. When I didn't get into The School for Wayward Witches, he was not pleased. I tried reminding him that I'm a wizard and not a witch but he didn't care.'

Sheesh, I'm glad I don't have a parent like that.

'And whoever did this needs more than a telling off,' I say.

'I agree,' says Hank.

'Yeah, let's get them back,' says Eddy, balling his hands into fists.

'That's what we should do then,' I reply.

Oh, I'm so ready for this. Nobody messes with me, my best friend and my new classmates and gets away with it.

'So we're going to throw toilet parchment and dragon dung all over the Academy for the Gifted?' asks Rachel.

'No, we need to do something more epic,' I say.

'Like what?' says Emily.

'We could find where every student lives and burn down their houses,' suggests Eddy.

I'm not that angry. And I don't want to go to jail.

'That's a bit overboard, Eddy,' I say. 'But I've got something we can do.'

I really do. And it's awesome. I just thought of it.

'What is it?' asks Emily.

'Everyone just meet me here tonight. What we're going to do will be talked about forever in this city.'