Chapter Twenty

'Mikey, the carriage will be here shortly. Chop, chop.'

'I'm coming,' I yell back, looking at my red tunic.

For some reason, the city wants us to wear our school uniforms for the presentation.

With what we did, I'm not embarrassed to wear it anymore. It's still very uncomfortable, though.

I then glance at the newspaper clippings on my wall.

'Students from the Magic School for the Utterly hopeless save the city, break the Great Destroyer's spell,' reads one.

'A whole battalion of centaurs and minotaurs no match for the students of the Magic School for the Utterly Hopeless,' reads another.

I puff out my chest in pride before going downstairs. Dad and mom are waiting for me in their green dress robes.

Seeing them back to normal makes me happy every time.

There's a knock at the door.

'And there it is,' says dad.

'Ready?' mom asks me.

Nodding, I reply, 'Ready.'

My dad opens the door and a wave of cheering hits me.

There's just so many people. All there for me.

But my attention is soon drawn to the waiting carriage. It's one of the lord's carriages. It's massive, taking up the entire width of the street. And there are ten drivers, all wearing wigs and red jackets.

A city official then helps my parents and I wade through the crowd and onto our transportation.

And when we take our seats, we head off to the lord's castle. We're not picking up the others. They're getting their own carriages. Seriously, how cool is that?

Our journey through the city is hectic. People are just crowding into the streets to get a peek. And I give them what they want.

Poking my head out, I wave as if I was the lord himself. I then look behind and see Hank's carriage following. He's waving to the crowd, too.

This is just crazy.

When we finally make it to the lord's castle, I see they've set up a stage right outside. And it's surrounded by even more people. All there for the presentation.

The carriage then drops us off in front of a marque by the castle's gates. I walk inside and see Emily, Peni, Rachel and Eddy waiting. Mr Nos is there too but he's fast asleep on a chair.

'Can you believe they made us wear our school uniforms?' says Rachel, shaking her head. 'I'm not impressed.'

Unlike me, she still doesn't like the way they look.

'So do you guys have any idea what they're going to present us with?' I ask. 'Peni?'

'I asked my dad,' he replies, nodding behind and to a severe-faced wizard shaking hands with my mom and dad, 'but he wasn't saying.'

'Maybe it's an invitation to join one of the other magic schools,' suggests Emily.

'Slithering silly snakes, I wouldn't want that,' says a voice.

It's Hank. He's arrived.

'Yeah, I wouldn't want that either,' says Eddy. 'I'd rather someone give me a knuckle sandwich.'

As if he has ants in his pants, a city official runs over to us.

'Good, everyone's here,' he says. 'Time to get on stage.' He turns to Mr Nos, who's still sleeping on the chair. 'Excuse me, Mr Nos. Are you awake? Hello, Mr Nos.'