Chapter Ten

The others are right behind me and I can hear Mr Nos laboring, trying to keep up. He's wheezing, croaking and panting like some two-headed dog.

I hope I don't get old like him.

When we get to my house, I bust through the front door. Seriously, I just smash it open using my shoulder.

I can't believe I just did that.

Then stumbling inside, I see my parents at the bottom of the stairs. They're standing in the darkness, not moving. They've got their wands out.

'Hey, it's just me, Mikey,' I quickly say. 'Don't hex me. Something's going on out there. There are all these goblins around. Did you guys see that blue cloud face thingy? Did you hear it talk? Have you guys heard of this Great Destroyer?' I then gesture to everyone behind me. 'These are the rest of the students from school and this is our teacher, Mr Nos. I'm sorry I snuck out. Are you two all right?'

My parents don't respond and are as still as before.

'Mom?' I say, eagerly. 'Dad? Are you all right? We need to get out of here.'

Still no response.

'Mom? Dad?' I say again, this time in a whimper.

Nothing.

'Say something, please. You're freaking me out. What's wrong?'

Again, bupkis.

I inch closer and see why.

Their faces are grey and rigid.

THEY'VE BEEN TURNED TO STONE.

This can't be happening.

I feel like bawling my eyes out but I keep it together.

Hank puts his hand on my shoulder. 'I'm so sorry, Mikey.'

'What happened to them?' stutters Emily.

'They've been put under a spell,' replies Mr Nos. 'And I'm sure everyone in the city has been as well.'

The others gasp, all looking around at one another.

They want to cry too. I can tell.

I comfort Hank before asking, 'So the Great Destroyer did this?'

'There's no question he did,' says Mr Nos.

'Is there any way we can reverse the spell, break it?' I cross my fingers, hoping.

Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes.

Everyone anxiously looks at Mr Nos, waiting for a response.

He nods. 'Anything's possible. We'll need to find the Great Destroyer, though, and possibly defeat him.'

'Do you think he's in the city?' asks Rachel, dabbing her eyes.

'It's a very powerful spell he's got going on here and close proximity is vital,' Mr Nos replies. 'I'm certain he's in the city.'

'I bet he's at the lord's castle,' says Peni.

'What are we waiting for?' comes a chorus.

'Just hold on a second,' says Mr Nos, lifting up his hands, 'just hold on a second. This isn't going to be some walk in the Dark Forest or the entrance exam for the Magic School for the Utterly Hopeless. Those goblins we took care of and the goblins at the gate could just be a fraction of what the Great Destroyer has brought with him. Mikey, do you have any more of those monster ghosts? Because we're going to need all the help we can get.'

'I have a couple dozen in my bag,' I reply. I show him.

'It would be nice if we had more, but it's better than nothing.'