The 11th Conquest and the Tale of the lone adventurer

I woke up to the sudden sounds of explosions and the shaking of the ground. I sat up from the small bundle of hay that I slept on to hear screaming and shouting as pieces of metal clanked against each other and the mantra of spells being cast. I was scared and surprised by the unexpected chaos that unfolded before me. The barn was on fire and pieces of the ceiling started to crumble apart. I took my spading fork and ran out to find my father and find out what was going on.

When I opened the doors to the barn, all I saw was the acres of crops we’ve worked for, for our whole lives, burned down while there were dozens of mages in cloaks attacking the farmers including my father who was among them and retaliating against their attack. Then a hand grabbed my left shoulder.

“Naoki-kun! Get out of here! You have to run far, far away!” A voice emerged.

It was Haru-ojisan, one of the closest friends of my father.

“But! My father is in danger!” I shouted.

“This is not the time! It’s started already! You have to forget about us and run!” Haru-ojisan said.

“No! I will fight with you!” I replied.

Then in the distance, I could hear a familiar shout. I turned in that direction and couldn’t believe my eyes. My father was stabbed in the chest with a sword.

“FATHER!” I shouted as I ran.

Haru-ojisan grabs me by the arm.

“Naoki-kun! You have to run!” Haru-ojisan warned.

I could feel my blood boil. The anger in me was uncontrollable. With the spading fork, I broke free of the hold and ran towards the cloaked mage. With all my strength and might, I put my little legs to the fullest and charged towards the mage while pointing my spading fork at him.

“DAMN YOU!!!” I shouted as I stabbed the spading fork into the side of his body.

He yelps and falls to the ground instantly. I lose my balance with the sudden halt due to the impact. The sword, still in the motionless mage’s hand. My father looked at me with the eyes of disbelief. He looked shocked. I ran towards him as he fell to the ground with his battle axe in his hands.

“Father!” I called.

“Naoki... I’m not going to make it...” Father said.

“No! You won’t die!” I replied.

“Naoki... You have the potential... The 11th Conquest has started...” Father explained.

“Why... Why now!? We were almost finished with our work!” I said.

“Listen to- *cough* me... Find your way to the Kingdom of Reonai... Find someone by the name Aotsuki Ken...” Father said.

“Who is that!? Why do I need to go there!?” I asked.

“Do it for me... I love you... I will live alongside you for as long as you’re alive...” Father said as his eyes shut and his head tilted to the side.

“Father? Father wake up!” I said as I shook his body.

My father... he’s dead.

“NOOOO!” I shouted and cried as I held his body close.

“Naoki-kun! Watch out!” Haru-ojisan shouted.

Haru: “In nomine clypei, I alligent tute-“

A burst of light came from in front of Haru-ojisan. His body flew above us and into the ground. I can’t let this go unpaid for. I grabbed the sword that killed my father from his killer’s hands and charged at the mages.