Chapter 4

For whatever reason, our offense struggled to put anything on net through the second half, but our defense was a little bit better. I had 3 tough, but other than that my time in net was uneventful. 

Then it came down to the very end of stoppage time, and the ref called a foul that never should have been a foul. The whole stands booed, and I realized I was in the net for a PK. 

This might cost us not only the game, but also the shield. 

I stared the girl who was about to shoot dead in the eyes. This was how I did it all through high school and college. Just stare them dead in the eyes, watch the hips, and then the ball. 

I took a deep breath, and the ref blew the whistle to let her know it was okay to take the kick. 

First the run up, she changes her angle, looks like she's going right but hits left. But I was there. Read that the whole way. 

The crowd went crazy as I jumped up quickly, because I didn't catch it. I just hit it out. Then Becky cleared it up the field, trying to run the clock. 

Morgan Weaver ran onto it, put a shot on net and scored, securing the win. 

After the celebration, Angel City took the kickoff, and the final whistle blew almost immediately. 

Then the whole team came running onto the field, most towards me, and everyone on the field joined us. 

After lots of high fives and hugs from teammates, I made sure to shake hands with the other teams players as I walked by. 

I hugged Sophia really tight, and when I stepped away, a bunch of ice cold water got dumped on my head. 

I screamed, and everyone on the field and in the stands laughed. I made sure my contacts were still settled in my eyes and turned to see Morgan Weaver, Olivia Moultrie, and Marissa Everett were the ones that did it. They were all giggling like crazy, and I threw one of my gloves at Morg. 

Becky brought me the captains armband to sign and give to a fan, and I searched for the glove I threw at Morgan, but it was gone. She probably took it. Whatever. 

I sighed the arm band and my glove, and found a girl in the stands with a 'Go Thorns!' poster who looked to be about 15, and had the biggest smile on her face ever. 

When I gave her the glove and the arm band, she handed the glove back to me. 

"You gotta keep this. It's from your debut." She said. 

"It's okay. Morgan has my other one." I laughed, making sure she kept it. I signed her poster, took a selfie with her, and then left to go to back with the team. 

"Your boyfriend's gonna like this game." Morgan said. "You should be expecting a call." 

"Please. I'm too tired to go out tonight." I laughed. 

"You don't wanna grab something to eat even?" Asked Sophia. 

"I mean, that doesn't sound bad." I smiled. 

"Mind if I join in on that?" Morgan piped in. 

"If you want." Soph said. 

"I'm cool with that." I said.

So we hung around the field signing autographs for as long as there were people, and then we got food really late. 

I thought it was weird that I didn't get a call from my boyfriend Dylan, because he usually called me after every game and we would talk about it, even if I didn't play. 

But I didn't dwell on it and just hung out with Soph and Mo, because it was a great night. 

Morgan came back to our apartment with us, and that's when I realized I had a voicemail from Dylan. 

"Listen to it." Sophia said, so I did. 

It was a drunk voicemail. Shit. 

He said that he went out with his friends and got drunk and is sorry he can't talk to me. But he didn't watch, and he 'doesn't ever watch my team;s games anyway.' He also said he was coming over because he felt bad. 

I didn't want him here, because he was completely wasted, and also I'm extremely upset with him. Like very mad. 

He missed my debut, where I made history (as the shortest goalie in NWSL history but still) and I saved a penalty kick that saved us the game. 

I sat on the floor of my living room sadly, Sophia and Morgan trying to cheer me up. 

When I heard that knock on the door, I groaned, wiped my face of any tears, and opened the door.