27. the end of the story

I know I should be expecting it, but I still flinch when the rest of Cabin 9 starts talking all at once.

They have so many questions — perfectly understandable, in my opinion. At least one person asks why I'm not one of the seven, which I very much appreciate. I don't know how to explain it, but while I know I'm not one of the seven, I still think I need to go with them to Greece. Maybe it has something to do with my mystery box. Maybe it's just because Leo and Piper are two of my best friends and Jason is my Jason, and I just don't want to be left behind. I don't know, it's just a feeling I have.

"Heroes!" Chiron crows, striking the floor with his hoof to get them to settle. "All the details are not clear yet, but Leo is correct. He will need your help to build the Argo II. It is perhaps the greatest project Cabin 9 has ever undertaken, even greater than the bronze dragon."

"It'll take a year at least," Nyssa estimates, her face scrunched up in thought. "Do we have that much time?"

"You have six months at most," Chiron says. Instantly, everyone in Cabin 9 pouts. I think they can get it done in six months, but I know they wish they didn't have to. Can't say I blame them on that front. Chiron carries on, "You should sail by summer solstice, when the gods' power is strongest. Besides, we evidently cannot trust the wind gods, and the summer winds are the least powerful and easiest to navigate. You dare not sail any later, or you may be too late to stop the giants. You must avoid ground travel, using only air and sea, so this vehicle is perfect. Jason being the son of the sky god..."

Chiron trails off. He's thinking about Percy. I know because I am too. It's only been a little over a week, but I miss him a lot. 

Jake clears his throat and turns to Leo. "Well, one thing's for sure. You are now senior counselor. This is the biggest honor the cabin has ever had. Anyone object?"

No one objects — they just smile. It's the first time since Beckendorf's death that I've seen them look this optimistic and hopeful. I can almost see the weight leaving their shoulders, can hear the chains of their curse breaking. It's a beautiful thing to witness.

"It's official, then," Jake says. "You're the man."

I start clapping and squealing like a child at the circus. I can't help myself — I fucking love seeing my friends thrive. That means Jason, Piper, and Leo are all senior counselors now, making me the odd egg out. Man. I don't get to be one of the seven, I don't get to be senior counselor. What's next? Are they gonna make a group chat and leave me out of it? No, they're not cruel enough for that.

It takes Leo a second to find his words, but he does eventually, and they are, "Well, if you guys elect me leader, you must be even crazier than I am. So let's build a spankin' hot war machine!"

*

Jason needs some time alone before the counselors' meeting, so he drops me off at Cabin 14 with a kiss on the cheek and the promise of a much deeper conversation very soon. I just nod and wish him luck at the meeting. Then I slip inside and kick off my shoes.

"Where have you been?" Roz asks, crinkling her nose at me. "Why do you look like you just went on a hike through the woods?"

"Probably because I just went on a hike through the woods," I tell her. "I'll explain later. First, I'm gonna shower."

She doesn't stop me, so I head into the bathroom and take a quick shower. All the while, I'm humming the song Noelle and I wrote. I thought putting it down on paper would get it out of my head, but it hasn't. I think it's made it worse, actually. Maybe it's because the song is untitled and unfinished. Maybe if I can just find the right title for it and finish the lyrics, it'll finally let my brain rest.