19. The heart-wrenching past

The lift meanwhile, was about to reach the ground floor when one of them switched off the button, which made it land in the basement.

_______________________________________

Mini: Excuse me!!! What is this?!!

Numbering them as 1, 2, 3... No names needed for this.

1: Abhi batate hain aapko, zara rukiye...

Mini: Nahi rukna mujhe.. my cab driver is waiting outs...

2: Intezaar kar lega thodi sa, jaise hum kar rahe the itni der se...

Mini: Shut up!! Peeche hato..

She tried to push the 3rd boy who was controlling the lift, but the other two pulled her back. She tried to get their hands off her but one of them held her hair tightly into a fist.

Mini: LEAVE ME!! I'LL KILL YOU!!

1: Kill who? Us? Uske liye tumhe khud zinda rehna padega, isn't it?

She tried to wriggle out of their hold once again but this time the 2nd one slapped her so hard that it started bleeding.

Back to the present

Neil: Stop!!! Please Mini.. it's too much ...

Mini: It's not even 10% of it Neil...

Neil: I can't... I'm sorry..

He turned his face to the other side to hide the tears that were dreading to fall out of his eyes. While she already had her painful smile on along with those old tears....

Mini: I know you're listening so I'm continuing it... But I would be more comfortable if you...

Neil (cutting her short): Shh..

He shifted closer to her and very softly, hugged her... His embrace was warm as ever and she leaned more towards him .. he slowly touched the part near her lower lip from where she was bleeding that day, as if to soothe it... Knowing that those scars still pain somehow, not physically but in her soul, they do... His touch was as light as a feather, and she closed her eyes feeling the love he was showering on her...

Mini: You know, I had tried with all my might, that day... But it just... Went out of my control because, they had made me anxious way before they started doing whatever they wanted.

Flashback

She kicked one of them really hard on the leg, and he left her hand. With that free hand, she punched the other one and freed herself for once. She tried to press the emergency button but the 3rd one pushed her so badly that she fell down. At that moment, the 3 of them were angry, impatient, free and desperate, while she was anxious, alone and now, scared. The 1st one kneeled down beside her and once again gave her an evil smile. The cab driver, on the other hand, was calling her again and the ring was literally playing with the chords of her mind at that stage. It was making her more uncomfortable. The last rational thought that came to her mind was that she should pick up the phone and somehow inform the driver. He "may" inform someone in the mall. She tried to pick it up but the 2nd one put his foot on her hand and literally trampled it. But she didn't flinch, instead, looked at him with fire burning in her eyes. Doesn't matter what was happening to her, she knew she was not supposed to give up... As her attention was in that pain, the 1st one held the hem of her dress from the side of the sleeve and tore it in one go, making her gasp. The 3rd one was making sure that the lift doesn't go up from the basement. The 2nd one also sat down beside her trying to touch her but she pushed him away. This time, they lost it.

1 (held her jaw tightly): Enough of your tantrums, you understood? Shanti se baat maan jaa... Nahi toh ghar jaane layak bhi nahi rahegi....

She slapped him right on the face. And now, they knew what to do. Three of them came together and tackled with her... She again tried to resist but they didn't give her the chance... Somehow, her hand landed on the control panel of the lift. She pressed all the buttons she could but nothing happened... Even the boys wondered how and why?

Then she noticed that the lift had stopped working. The light was on but so dim that it was almost dark... She was fully trapped with three monsters in a damn lift!!! They pinned her to the wall of the lift and one of them came closer. She was feeling nothing but disgusted. The other one was touching her from where her dress was torn.... She couldn't bear it. The 1st one was just so close to her and there was only thing that came to her mind... She kicked his groin, with all her might, that he literally screamed with pain... The other two rushed to his help, whereas she got the time to call someone, but her hands were shivering, her vision was blurred due to the tears and she was almost feeling dizzy... She tried to compose herself and call someone but the 1st one snatched it from her and threw it away. More than physically being hurt, his ego was aching and he had resolved to take the revenge. He took out a blade which he had asked from the vendor at the food court by making an influential excuse. The sight of it was terrifying. The other two again held Mini's hands and turned her over. Now she was facing the wall of the lift, horrified at the possibility of what he could do, while still trying her best to get rid of their hold. He shifted her hair to the front and suddenly she felt a sharp sting at her back as the blade slit through her skin. She choked back the sound of her sobs as the pain hit her... And immediately afterwards, another one came... She could feel blood oozing out and her dress getting wet as it came in contact with that.

Back to the present

Neil: Shhh!! Bas!! I can't!!

She was wholly in tears as she recalled that pain. He was gently stroking her hair, still in that embrace, to assure her that he is there... While she was speaking, there was not a single moment when his eyes were dry.. his heart felt all the pain as if it was his own and She too, let go of it all because for the first time, she felt that she was SHARING HER PAIN with someone and not narrating an incident of her life...

Mini: Uske baad...

Neil: Bas ho gaya Mini!! Not a single word now!!

Mini: Neil, you know already what's next.

He looked down to meet her gaze and she too, looked into his eyes. Whereas he saw the red puffy eyes holding so much of pain, she saw the concern, care and love in his eyes. He processed the last line she said to him ..

Neil: You mean... After that...

Mini: After that, we met for the first time...

Precap: The epitome of hope.

Happy Reading ❤️