41 | No Apologies

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

ALYONA'S ASLEEP ON my lap whilst I scroll through different news feeds on my phone. We're not staying with Alexei and Eka anymore since the precinct offered me an under radar home temporarily given the circumstances. 

However just because we're not living with those two doesn't mean they aren't living with us. 

Alexei sits across from me in the lounge, sitting on the rug as he pretends to be interested in Eka's stories. It's kind of cute actually. That he's such a menacing person, but has time to listen to a teenagers narrations. 

There are two weeks until the Sullivan Dance. Which gives us two weeks to prepare. 

I haven't told Chris or Gloria that I'm unafraid to kill people on sight that try to harm Alyona, and I don't plan on telling them anytime soon. Maybe right before we go in the dance. I'll do it then. It's convenient. 

Well not for them, but for me.

"Faith?"

I look up from where I was staring down at my phone, and try a soft smile for Eka who's now looking at me. 

"Mm?"

"This is totally random, but do you think you could search up the name Terenov in police files?" She asks. 

Well, yes. That is random. 

"Um, I suppose. Why?"

"I've tried looking for my family for years, but I don't think we have the same technology we did a decade ago. So there's no digital trace of them. I was hoping there might be something in police files - and now that I know a police officer..."

"Detective." I correct. 

"Potato, potato." She shrugs. 

"You just said potato twice, you didn't even do the saying-"

"Please?"

I've told you before that Eka is good at puppy dog eyes. That Aly inherited them from her through some weird teenage girl friendship seance, but never have I told you Eka's genuineness is what makes her the most solemn person I know. 

"I'll see what I can do." I whisper. 

I don't know why I look to Alexei after that. Maybe I was thinking he'd have a similar question. He looks at me, but doesn't ask any questions. I can tell he knows what I'm thinking about though. 

That perhaps I could find his little brother. 

But without a name; I can't do anything. And I don't think Alexei wants to give me his name just yet. 

"Thank you." Eka whispers. 

"In return I want any social media accounts Alexei made when he was thirteen." I wave her gratitude off.