47. Black Cells

Ned was taken into custody and put into the cells, arya was missing and sansa was being held captive by the queen, Everly leaned against Ned, things looked bad. Everly let out a sad sigh.

'I'm so sorry my love.' Ned whispered.

"This isn't your fault.' Everly assured.

"It feels like it is.' Ned told her as she lay her head on his good leg. 'If I didn't pry into their life, their secrets... everly I'm so sorry.' Ned rasped she felt his tears falling onto her.

'I don't regret a single moment spent with you.' Everly assured him. 'Robert was your friend, you were trying to do right by him. You are a good man, Ned, don't doubt that.'

'But if I hadn't-'

'I love that you fight for what is right.' Everly told him. 'I love your heart,' Everly said pressing her hand against his chest. 'No matter what happens know I don't blame you and I love you so much.'

+

'Lord stark you must be thirsty.' Varys said kneeling before him handing him a jug of water. 'I promise you it's not poisonous.' he said uncorked it, taking a sip before handing it over. And Ned took a long chug, he tapped Everly's arm and she rolled over. 'Not so much my Lord I would save the rest if I were you, hide it men have been known to die of thirst in the cells.' He passed the jug off to her, she took a little sip as she sat up. Ned knew this kind of treatment could not be good for her pregnancy but what was he to do?

'What about my daughters?'

'The younger one has seem to escape the castle even my birds cannot seem to find her.'

'And Sansa?' Everly added

'Still engaged to Joffrey, Cersei will keep her close the rest of your household though are all dead it appears. I hate the sight of blood.' Varys admitted.

'You watched my men being slaughtered and you did nothing.' Ned sneered wrapping an arm around Everly.

'And I would again my Lord I was unarmed and surrounded by Lannister swords. when you look at me do you see a hero?" Ned took another sip 'what madness led you to tell the queen the truth about Joffrey's birth?'

'The madness of mercy. That she might protect her children.' ned admitted

'the children, it's always the innocent to suffer... It wasn't the wine that killed Robert or the boar though the wine slowed him down and the boar ripped him open but it was your mercy that killed the king. I trust you... but you are a dead man lord Eddard stark.' Varys told him. 'I'm afraid you as well Everly.' Varys told her and Ned shook his head. Everly was innocent in this. She didn't conspire.

'The queen can't kill us,' Ned said confidently. 'we have her brother.' Ned reminded him.

'The wrong brother sadly.' Varys informed him. 'Besides, your wife has let the imp slip through her fingers.'

'If that is true then slit my throat and be done with it.' Ned declared. Everly squeezed his hand shaking her head.

'Not today my Lord'

'Tell me some thing Varys who do you truly serve?' Ned questioned.

'The realm my Lord. Someone must.' Varys said walking away and leaving him in darkness.

++++++

'Do you deny your father's crime?" Petyr questioned.

"No, My Lords. We know he must be punished. All I ask is mercy. I know my Lord Father must regret what he did. He was King Robert's friend and he loved him. You all know he loved him. He never wanted to be Hand until the King asked him. They must have lied to him, Lord Renly or Lord Stannis or somebody. They must have lied!" Sansa spoke truthfully and honestly, begging for her father. 'Everly, my tutor Everly she never hurt anyone, she never would. She is a good woman, I swear it, she wouldn't... she wouldn't speak or do treason.'