Tutors

Hunter

After the geezer that Mason hired to tutor me, he hired another tutor. This one wasn't any better. The woman was middle-aged with her hair pulled into a tight bun, and she wore a frumpy outfit.

I sat at the kitchen table with Cole as the woman taught us lessons. Cole worked on his assignments like the diligent little soldier. I got bored and left the table.

"Mr. Michaels, where are you going?" The woman asked in a stern voice.

"Anywhere but here, lady. You're boring!"

"Mr. Michaels! Stop right there!"

I stopped and craned my head. Cole lifted his head and watched us.

"Sit down before I give you lashes!" The woman ordered, pointing to a kitchen chair.

I crept toward the woman, backed her against a wall, and leaned into her face. "Touch me, and I will break your fingers."

The woman's eyes grew huge as her coloring drained from her face. She scooted around me, grabbed her belongings, and ran out of the house.

I turned to Cole. "Class is dismissed." A smirk grew on my lips.

"My dad will be mad."

"Like I care." I shrugged.

Cole shook his head.

********
Mason

I sat in my office with a stack of qualified tutors on my desk. I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my bottom lip. Two tutors quit within days of each other.

Charles strode into my office and sat down. "How is the training going with Hunter?"

"The training is fine. It's the tutoring sessions that are the issue."

"Mason, I know you don't want to send Cole to a public school for obvious reasons. But what about Hunter?"

I lowered my hands and leaned forward on my desk. "I can't risk the Frazier family discovering Hunter's identity."

"What if I have a solution to your problem?"

I arched my brow.

"Send Hunter to Saintwood High School."

"Is that a good idea?"

"We can monitor him and place undercover men inside. Ryan and Elena will attend Saintwood High School in a few years. By the time they enter the high school, Hunter will have graduated."

I scrutinized Charles. He wanted something. "What do you want in exchanged?"

"I want Hunter to train Ryan and teach his techniques to him."

"Why?" I gave Charles a sideways glance.

"I want Ryan to protect Elena, which would give Maggie peace of mind."

I regarded my brother. Charles thought I was stupid. He didn't want Ryan to protect Elena. He tried to use him to work for him.

"Charles, I'm not stupid. So, don't treat me like I am. What's the real reason?"

"Fine. I plan to bring Ryan into the family business."

"Is that a wise idea?"

"You don't know, my boy." Charles gave me a knowing glance.

Oh, I knew Charles's boy, alright.

"Fine, but I decide if Ryan joins the business."

Charles nodded.