Discipline

Mason

After our trip to Italy, I brought Hunter with me when I conducted business. I wanted him to understand my methods and learn discipline. He would need it later when he worked for me.

A kid like Hunter resorts to survival tactics. It's all he knows. I needed to change that.

Joseph accompanied us to the meeting with the Grasso family. Emilio Grasso was the head of the family and ruled his empire with an iron fist. He was old school, whereas Eduard was new school and changed how business was run. I wanted to watch Hunter's reaction to Emilio's attitude.

Emilio's men led us to his study, where Emilio sat behind an exaggerated mahogany desk. We sat opposite Emilio.

"Mason, why is a child here?" Emilio asked in a gravelly voice.

"Hunter is my protégé. I'm teaching him business," I said.

"I don't talk business in front of children."

"Hunter won't repeat our conversation. He's here to observe."

"It's bad business to include children in business."

I glanced at Hunter, who remained indifferent to the exchange. "It's bad business not to include young males in business when you expect them to succeed you."

Joseph handed me a file. I tossed it onto the desk.

Emilio picked up the file and looked at me. "What's this?"

"It's a document that gives me controlling shares of your business."

Emilio narrowed his eyes. "You can't take anything without me agreeing to it."

"I can, and I did."

"You will regret double-crossing me, Mason."

"I didn't double-cross you. I purchased shares in your business legally after speaking to other family heads. A few of your men that tried to stop me are no longer breathing."

Emilio's lips turned downward as a scowl appeared on his face.

"Your business has been failing for years. People distrust you because you haven't delivered the product. I'm rectifying your mistakes."

"You won't leave here alive."

"I will."

Emilio was so focused on me that he didn't see Hunter move behind him. With a swift motion, Hunter shoved a knife into the back of Emilio's throat. Emilio gaped at us as blood streamed from the corner of his mouth and throat.

"I got to hand it to you, Mason. Hunter is quiet and quick," Joseph said.

"He needs to be if he's a ghost. No one can witness his presence." I watched Hunter walk away from Emilio and check out the study.

********
Hunter

After following Mason's instructions, I checked out the room until I located a camera. I dropped it to the floor and stomped on it with my shoe. It wasn't the only one. I found five more and destroyed them.

Mason watched me without questioning me. I knew he would. He always did. People like Emilio didn't scare me. Mason frightened me because he held a calm demeanor.

When Emilio threatened Mason, he didn't flinch. Mason expected it. It made me wonder if that's what made Mason powerful.

Mason and Joseph stood up. "It's time to leave, Hunter."

I pulled the knife from Emilio's throat, wiped the blood on him, and put it away. Never leave traces of evidence.

We left the study and closed the door before heading to the car. We didn't make it through the front door when someone cocked the arm of a gun. My mind whirled with different scenarios and outcomes before I reacted. Quickly, I dropped and disarmed the guy within seconds before shooting him in the head.