Chapter 1 - Thirty Million Don

"Hey, just why am I here?! Do you realize who you're dealing with-"

"Shut it. Speak when I ask you to."

My back slammed into the cold gray pavement of the cell. My head felt like it was sweating buckets despite the chilly air raising goosebumps all over my arms and legs. I pounced back up after the policeman threw me into the cell.

Another officer walked calmly into the room; her outfit similar to her male counterpart: a dark navy-blue uniform covered in gold and silver lines. Their goofy black hats reminded me of that of a sailor - almost making me chuckle inside.

"You're to be questioned on behalf of your father later this afternoon."

I don't deserve this treatment...

That same thought has bounced around my head since early this morning. I sighed, released my clenching fist, and raised my eyebrows.

"Fine. But can I at least stay somewhere less filthy than this-"

"No."

Slam!

And just like that, an iron clang echoed within the basement floor as the officers closed the prison door in front of me. I couldn't believe it. Within an hour, I was taken and locked into a jail cell after having been forced out of my mansion earlier this morning. The sudden silence felt deafening.

The nerve of these assholes!

How could they just put me, the son of a famous rich businessman with such a high status in society, behind bars? My hands fell to my waist and my mouth was left open without an answer. I leaned against the cold wall behind me, feeling the crisp pavement dig against my skin.

Yet that irritating hush didn't last long.

"Hey."

A sudden voice bounced into the room. I lifted my eyes and launched my back off the wall as if I never contacted it in the first place. The sounds of steps from the nearby hall were now floating into my ears: the clanging of boots against the smooth hard surface. Just by the sound, I could tell this wasn't another officer.

"Hey, idiot, I'm over here."

...Idiot? Does he realize who he's...

My thoughts paused as my eyes caught sight of the man who entered the hall. He was tall and his short brown hair was slicked back as if it were ironed. His black suit was a brand I recognized immediately, and one of his silver glove-covered hands was carrying a briefcase.

The man oozed luxury - the same vibe as my old man.

"You're Kai, correct? I've come here to help your case."

My eyes widened and a small shiver ran down my spine.

"Why? Do you have important connections with my father?"

"No," he immediately replied with an emotionless face; his jawline was as sharp as his glare. The wrinkles on his skin were plenty, but his dark brown eyes pierced through my soul.

"T-Then-"

"I have no business with your old man...dare I say it's about time he was captured for all the shadiness he's been involved with behind the scenes."

...behind the scenes?

When we were arrested earlier this morning, all the police told me was that it was because of something my dad had done, but I didn't know it was a plethora of acts.

The rich-looking man, who noticed my shock, closed his eyes, and sighed, albeit not ridding his face of any wrinkles.

"Anyways, your father is done for, but I have requested your bail. The police will have a chat with you later today. Be a good kid."