Chapter 18 - Like I Said, The One Who Can Kick Balls

"So, is it a done deal?" Elias asked while placing Sesame and his cage behind him. He was only inches away from the open window. "You let me record you saying those words, and then Rin kisses me."

"Don't be ridiculous!" Rin interrupted. "Why did you even make us climb all the way up here just for that? How about you just give us back the cat already?!"

"That's quite the easy answer," Elias pointed down to a pile of glass, which sat next to him against the wall with each piece layered on top of each other. "I planned to show you this, if you didn't comply."

"Huh?" Both Rin and I replied simultaneously. The room itself didn't feature many decorations, but that pile of glass was hardly noticeable until Elias pointed it out. If anything, they looked like windowpanes. He then grabbed the first piece of square glass from the top and held it out for us to see. A clear black ink etched on top, reading:

"Rin Miya, Women's MVP Award."

With a small note saying "Congrats, Rin! - Coach Meyer" at the bottom right corner.

Rin grew speechless, but her arms dropped to the sides of her torso. After a few more seconds, she spoke.

"Wait, what's going on? I was never told that I had -"

"You were selected to win," Elias explained, and then pointed at me. "But because of that man's father, who tampered with the matches and even betting against who would win this prestigious year-end MVP award, nothing was ultimately given to you, and thus this piece of glass was stowed away in this attic all summer long."

I couldn't help but glance away at the ground, ashamed. Ever since I began living my own life with the new debt, the impact of my old man's actions has constantly returned to haunt me, no matter where I walked. I was always being reminded that I was partially responsible.

"If you don't do what I say, I will throw this glass award out the window!" Elias warned. "But don't worry, I'll make sure not to hit anybody."

"Meeooow!" Sesame continued to struggle within the cage behind him.

Fuck, I have to help fix this.

Rin gritted her teeth; a look of defeat covered her face. I sighed and placed my hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll record this video."

"B-But Kai!"

"It's fine, I don't mind a single bit," I lied. Of course, I did; despite the accusations piling on my father and his jail status, part of me just hated the idea of renouncing our family name.

"Are you ready? I'm pressing 'Record!'"

Elias had my back pinned against a wall. He held up his phone with one hand, ready to record my speech. In his other was Rin's glass MVP award, just seconds away from being destroyed to a hundred pieces. Behind his feet was Sesame, who watched on from the small cage.

My hands clenched into fists behind my back. My arms wouldn't stop trembling. Despite how ridiculous this request was, if it meant saving Sesame, then I was more than happy to do it. Taking a deep breath, I opened my mouth:

"I, Kai Darak, would like to condemn my own father, Kevin Darak, by admitting that he is the reason why Rin Miya was unable to capture the title last year, along with the MVP award. I no longer belong to The Darak Organization and would like to renounce my family name."

"Bahahahahaha!" Elias finished recording and burst into tears. "You killed it, man! I can't believe it was that easy. What a fucking loser!"

He clutched his stomach, unable to contain his laughter. All I could do was breathe a sigh of relief and close my eyes, begging to get this over with.