Chapter 13 - The Secret Of The Meyers

Taking my last step up the stairs to the balcony hall of my apartment, my eyes caught the side of an envelope poking out between my door and the adjacent wall. It was as big as my face, and a golden seal taped it closed. On the front was only my first and last name, written in thick black ink. There was a designated mailbox for all tenants, so I scratched my head in confusion on why anyone would shove mail in a door like this.

"What could this be..." I muttered to myself while pulling it out. It was neatly closed, and the edges were sharp. Just as I was about to rip it open, an odd scent drifted into my nostrils - it was coming from inside my room. Opening the door, I partially closed my eyes and pinched my nose. Flapping my hand in the air, I slammed my back against the door after it closed behind me.

"Ew, what that fuckin' stench?!" I shouted.

Eleanor and Leo were standing in my kitchen, frying something in the only pot I owned.

"That's rude," Leo scoffed at me, his eyes piercing at mine. "Sis is trying to make us dinner, you know."

Eleanor, without looking back, continued playing around with whatever was in the pan using my spatula.

"U-Um, sorry," I replied, taking my shoes off and walking over to see what she was cooking. "I'm sure whatever you're cooking is deli-ciiooooooooouuuuuyaaaaaaak!"

I dropped to the ground. Frying in my pan on high heat and sprinkled lightly in salt and pepper was a batch of pink worms.

Eleanor glanced down at me, confused at my reaction. "Why are you causing such a ruckus-"

"Why are you cooking live worms in my fucking pan?!" I squirmed.

"Leo was right, you're ruder than you look," Eleanor pouted. "I'm cooking my special thick pink spaghetti."

Spaghetti?! I bounced back up and poked my head over the pan again. Sure enough, what looked like worms at first were only thick noodles.

"Then, what's that stench?"

"Oh, Mrs. Tren brought us some stinky tofu for us to share," Eleanor explained, pointing at my table. On it was a large glass container, full of yellow squared tofu that was covered in a brown sauce and garnished with green onions. Its lid had fallen to the ground, letting its smell spread like hot air around the room.

I blushed in embarrassment and caressed my neck out of habit. "Ah, sorry for overreacting."

Eleanor pouted once more, avoiding my gaze. Leo tugged my shirt from behind in the same way as Rin earlier this evening.

"Kai, why is your wardrobe empty?" he asked innocently. "You're kinda poor, aren't you?"

A vein popped in my forehead. "H-How casual of you to say such a-ooooof!"

Leo kicked my private parts in the same way he flicked off his shoes. I dropped to the ground, rolling, and squirming around in pain while holding my crotch. "What was that for?!"

"Sis told me that you peed on her, you pervert," replied Leo, who then hugged Eleanor from behind. "Stay away from my beautiful sister, you creep."

"You told him?!" I asked Eleanor, who smiled menacingly.

"He kept bothering me about it today, my apologies."

"Sis, don't marry this poor guy, he can barely afford clothing!" Leo shouted, digging his face into Eleanor's back.

Is he some sort of sis-con?

I struggled to my knees without letting go of my crotch and glanced at the empty wardrobe inside the closet which Leo was alluding to. Sometimes, just by a mere peek inside, a pierce of regret stung me; it was regarding that decision a few months back when the Police Department had first arrested and handed me the thirty million don debt. It was right after I left Nancy's office - the officers took me to another room, where I sat down and spoke with another police chief. I remember him asking whether I wanted to keep some of the clothing and valuables from my old man's mansion.