Chapter 19 - Drowned In A White Void

Dancing snowflakes filled the gray clouds as I watched in awe. Because it was Sunday, the roads outside around Febai City contained less traffic, and thus less honking that disturbed a quiet winter evening. The country rarely got snow in the first place; its winter seasons were usually packed with rain and gray skies. I poked my head out from a brick corner of a building next to the entrance of Gio's clinic. I promised him I would no longer show up, but since I managed to get Lily a research job there, I couldn't help myself: I decided to follow her and watch from the shadows after our day shift at Muller's Blend was over to ensure everything would start without an issue.

Man, I'm no different than that Elias guy, aren't I...

"Are you Lily Meyer?" Gio asked.

"Y-Yes!" Lily answered. "Thank you so much for letting me help out on the weekends."

"No worries at all, I hear you're really passionate about becoming a doctor, right?"

"T-That's right!"

"Our physio clinic here used to be quite general, but recently, more athletes who recover from muscle injuries have been coming in. Be ready to learn a lot!"

"Of course!"

The door slammed shut, leaving me by myself in the winter cold; albeit only momentarily, because:

Ring ring!

My girlfriend called me.

"Hey Kai, since it's only two days until Christmas, do you want to visit the Christmas market tomorrow at Febai park?"

I couldn't stop smiling; my heart burned in warmth, and suddenly my body was no longer cold in the snow. I uncovered my red scarf to speak.

"Sure thing! What time do I meet you tomorrow?"

It had been a few weeks since Rin and I encountered Elias at Febai College. Not only did we manage to save Sesame, but perhaps we saved my job too, since Lora and Julian didn't suspect a thing once they returned from their honeymoon. However, because of exams and her busy training schedule, we never got to date or hangout since that night.

"I'll run over once you're done with work at 5!"

Rin and I had to keep our relationship a secret, since my poor reputation with the public and her starlit reputation as Febai's soccer ace were opposite ends of the spectrum. Imagining what everyone's reactions would be - if they found out we were dating - made my stomach turn.

"Sounds good, see you then!"

I closed the call and began my way back home by trudging through the snow in my boots. This was going to be my first date with her in public; that's why, once tomorrow arrives, I'll prepare the most discreet outfit imaginable - not even the country's most fearless detectives would smell me out.

Once I arrived at my apartment door, the same white envelope as before appeared, stuck between the door and the wall as if someone shoved it in. On the front read nothing but "To Kai Darak" in small writing, but the ink appeared fresh.

"Hmm? Another one of these?" I muttered to myself. Because of what happened with Eleanor and Leo when they lived at my place, I had completely forgotten to open the first envelope, which I could no longer even find in my room.

Unlocking the door to my place, I stashed my clothing and bag away and ripped open the paper to see what was inside:

Kai,

meet me at the playground tomorrow once you arrive at Febai Park.

I stared at the message for what was probably a solid 10 minutes.