Chapter 8 - Not Even Honey Butter Chips?!

"Get up, we have to go to work!"

A finger stabbed my forehead as I struggled to open my eyes.

"Ugh, that hurts!"

A wave of drowsiness overwhelmed me, and I turned to my side to sleep some more.

"I said..."

Man, did I wish I was in my own bed instead of a cheap sleeping bag.

"Get the fuck up for work!"

"Arrrrrgghh!"

Lily jumped up and landed with her full bodyweight on me, stabbing my side with a shooting elbow. It's as if she was trying to shatter my ribs. Raising her hand up to my squinting face, she then flicked my eyes as if trying to make me go blind.

"C'mon, just a few more minutes."

Despite my complaining, I rubbed my eyes and sat up. The room light was already blasting into my vision, causing me to mumble some more.

"You should be lucky I'm even letting you stay here for two weeks!"

Ugh, that's right...

Mrs. Tren really wasn't joking that day:

"You are suspended from living on my property... for two weeks!"

She really meant it. What the fuck.

It had already been three days since my two-week sentence began; perhaps Lily felt bad about the way I was punished by my landlord, so she reluctantly offered to house me during the period of my suspension.

With the strength of a bull, Lily pulled off the sleeping bag from under me, exposing my feet to the cold air flowing in from the open window. I quivered and pulled myself into a ball.

"What time is-"

"It's already 7 AM!"

Huh?!

I scratched my nape and glanced at Lily with my eye still half-open. "It's so early still... why did you wake me up so-"

"Shut up!" Lily screamed into my ear, sending a jolt across my body. "What, did you live snobbishly when you were rich too?! You've got to wake up at a healthy time!"

"Well," I stared at the clothing in my luggage, which I hadn't even unpacked yet. "It would help if you could leave my room so I can change."

Lily blushed and rushed out the door. "F-Fine, hurry up!"

Sighing while reaching for my black jeans, my phone suddenly buzzed loudly. Once I slotted my pants and shirt on, I picked up my device to check notifications. An instant glimmer engulfed my face: a message from my bank that I had been paid.

"Wait..." Checking my bank account on my phone, my smile turned into a beaming smirk. Thanks to the money I saved up, I could now afford a new laptop. I rushed out of the room to brush my teeth in Lily's washroom - because of the extra time I had, an idea popped into my mind.

"Lily, I'm going to stop by the mall first. I'll meet you at the café."

"Huh?!"

She paced down the hall from the kitchen, where she was sitting with her parents. "Why are you going to the mall?"

"I can afford a laptop now!" I exclaimed while rinsing my mouth.

"Just go buy it after work!"

"But the store has early bird deals that are gone by noon! I'm sure Lora and Julian will let me put it somewhere in the back while we work."