CHAPTER NINE: THE FALL

-Myc? - I asked.

-Lyra, what happened?

-They caught me. Scotland Yard, they questioned me. Sherlock's run off with John, I don't know where they've gone. They know everything, Mycroft.

-I'm going to try and get you out of there, but it'll take me a couple of hours. Don't do anything stupid, OK? Just trust me. - Mycroft said to me.

-OK, thanks. Thank you. - I answered and hung up the call.

...

About an hour and a half passed. I was starting to get bored, still chained to that chair.

Suddenly, I heard a strange noise from the guard at the door. I kept absolutely silent to see if I could identify where it was coming from, and at that moment the door opened loudly.

And Jim appeared, which I wasn't expecting at all.

-James? What are you doing here? - I asked.

-I came to say goodbye. - He said seriously.

-Goodbye? James Vivian Moriarty, you'd better not do anything foolish.

-It's going to be game over with Sherlock. It's all going to end, for both of us. It's a fair ending. - Suddenly, he stepped closer to me and magically the handcuffs holding my arms open. I rubbed my wrists to try to relieve the pain that the pressure of the restraints had caused me. - Go away. But don't come after me, or Sherlock. - He demanded seriously. - Don't get in the way. Please. Let things happen, Lyra.

-What has to happen? - I asked.

-I have to die. - The dream came back to my mind. Jim and Sherlock's bodies surrounded by blood. I ran to James and squeezed his shoulders tightly. Tears were threatening to come.

-James, please. Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything you'll regret. - I said, my voice breaking. - You know I can't influence your decisions, but you know that if anything happens to you it would tear me apart. Jim, you're like my brother. I can't lose you because of some stupid, childish fight you have with Sherlock.

I saw the look in Jim's eyes, I knew something was going to happen and I knew I couldn't avoid it, my powers told me so. A not-so-pleasant tingle ran up and down my body. I knew these two idiots were going to end badly, both of them.

Jim's eyes expressed sadness. For the first time, there was concern in his eyes. He was serious.

I understood that I had nothing to do. I knew it was the end and that it was time to end it. I read his mind, and I saw that Jim finally understood that he had done too much and that his life was hopeless. His crimes had gone too far.

-Goodbye Ly. - He said goodbye with a small smile.  I could do nothing but release the tears I was holding back and give him a big hug. Surprisingly, Jim returned the hug. - I love you so much. - He whispered in my ear. He pulled away from me and cupped my face with his hands. - Run away. I know what happens to you with the Russians, run Lyra. For a while. Do it for me, I know you know how to hide. If you want, go to Moran. I've told him to protect you when I'm gone.

He leaves the door open for me and steps out, peeking out before he leaves to give me a shy little smile as he nods his head.

I froze for a couple of seconds, I didn't know what to do. I had the door open right in front of me, but something in my body kept me from leaving. Fear? Maybe I was.

...

I was running down the street in a panic. I had managed to steal my phone from evidence and Lestrade had noticed, so he was calling me like crazy.