fourteen

“No”, I say and roll my eyes dramatically for the thousandth time in the last five minutes.

“Louis”, Niall shouts into his microphone, “You can’t neglect me like this.”

I laugh leaning back into the couch, looking at the clock impatiently. “Shut up. Go visit Amelia or something.”

“She’s at her brother’s this weekend.”

I chuckle and look at Harry, who’s sitting next to me for a second. He’s focused on the TV so I can’t tell if he’s listening to our extremely stupid conversation, we’ve been having for the past quarter hour now.

“Oh, that’s why you suddenly want to hang out with me instead of her, arse.”

“Hey”, Niall shouts and I drop my phone onto the couch out of shock. I hear him screaming something into my phone and I have to take a few encouraging deep breaths before being brave enough to pick it up again.

I pick it up, keeping a few centimetres distance to my ear out of safety reasons though.

“Niall”, I say, “I think I’m deaf.”

“What?”

“You killed my fucking ear. I’m going to hang up now.”

I roll my eyes and stare at the TV, watch some old people answer questions for a boring quiz for a few seconds.

“Okay”, he says and then quickly adds: “Wait, is there someone at your flat?”

“Yes.”

“Oh”, he shouts and I flinch at the loud noise, “Please tell me you’re a relationship kind of thingy? Or at least fucking.”

I nearly start screaming really loud but I just slap my hand to my mouth. “God, Niall, no. It’s Harry, I told you about.”

I earn a confused look from Harry but just shrug, trying to signal I’ll explain later.

“Ugh”, he says, “You’re boring.”

“Yeah. You’re annoying. Bye, my love. Have a great weekend alone, baby.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you too.” I keep making kissing noises until he finally hangs up.

I groan, letting my head fall against the headboard and turning up the volume of the TV a little.

“Sorry”, I say, “My friend’s a little bored.”

Harry shrugs. “You can go visit him.”

I shrug too. “Thought we wanted to have a sleepover.”

He smiles. “It’s not that important.”

I roll my eyes, switching the channel when an advertisement starts playing. “Yes, it is. Niall’s just bored ‘cause his girlfriend’s not there.”

“Oh”, Harry says, “You’re not in a relationship.”

I laugh out loud and shake my head vehemently. “God, no. Please don’t even say that.”

He shrugs but then starts chuckling a little.

“Only really heard that last part.”

“Oh”, I say, laughing, “That most definitely was a joke.”

Harry smiles a bit and then he turns back to the TV, staring at the screen while nibbling on some crisps silently.

“Want to order some take away for lunch?”

He looks at me for a second, a questioning look in his eyes.

“I’ll pay, Harry. I know they took your stuff.”

The sadness is back in his eyes for a bit, as he nods and turns back to the screen. I don’t like the darkness in his eyes.

I want to hear him laugh again.

“Okay. Pizza?”

I nod and grab my phone again, dialling the number of the closest Italian restaurant.

“Fungi, please”, he mumbles.

As I wait for someone to pick up again, I decide I’ll make him laugh again, and if I embarrass myself in the process, I don’t care either.

“Why did the mushroom go to the party?”, I ask, in the moment a lady picks up the phone.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh”, I say, trying not to laugh at Harry’s confused face, “Sorry. I’d like to order some Pizza please.”

“What?”, Harry asks at the same time the woman asks: “Sure. Which ones?”

“Answer the question”, I whisper, trying to cover my microphone.

“Fungi and margherita, please.”

“I don’t get it”, Harry says, “Is it a joke?”

I nod. “Alright. Your address and name, please.”

I tell the woman my address while Harry still stares at me with a confused frown, one eyebrow raised a little.

“Thank you”, I say and hang up the phone.

“Because he was a fun guy, Harry.”

It takes him a while to get it. He stares at me, squeezing his eyes together, trying to think.

Then he slowly lifts the corner of his mouth and laughs. Laughs, laughs, laughs.

He laughs again. Chuckles quietly, dimple appearing in his cheek.

“So bad, Louis”, he says.
And I couldn’t care less about how bad it was as long he’s a little happy for a short moment.

When we ate the pizza, watched three stupid movies and made ourselves some pasta for dinner, we’re both extremely tired and full, basically already half asleep on the couch.

“We forgot the scary stories”, he mumbles.

“Mhmhh”, I make, opening one eye to look at him sideways, “Want me to tell one?”

“Not really. I don’t like scary stories.”

I nod against the couch, putting my hands onto my full tummy.

“A happy one, maybe?”, Harry asks.

I smile. He’s so soft.
“Okay.”

It’s silent for a little.
“I can’t think of anything funny.”

Harry rolls his eyes and chuckles. “You’re boring. Tell me about your friends then. Or anything funny, don’t care.”

“Okay.”

I tell him all about my friends and how chaotic it is every time we go out together. I tell him about how Gigi and Zayn got together because of a bet and how I met Maya after coming to uni too late, I tell him about the incident at the club.

I don’t want to stop talking, not because I enjoy telling those stories so much, but because he smiles the whole time. Because he laughs quietly every now and then chuckles and reacts dramatically.

Because he seems happy for a moment.

I keep telling. He asks for it, looks at me patiently when I take a pause for a moment. I talk and talk until he closes his eyes and falls asleep with a smile on his lips.

~~~

thank you for reading